Cooking in a cup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have a Stanley classic 0.5ltr metal mug and was wondering if anyone has used one over a flame to make brews or cook food?

I can fit my Trangia inside it along with all my brew kit so just need an extra water bottle to make a nice self contained cook set.

Steve.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
All parts are metal, stainless I believe except the handle which is plastic.

Yes there is paint on the outside but there is a good inch plus of stainless at the bottom of the mug before the green paint.

001-8.jpg

Steve.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I'm not sure that handle will last long, and I'm sure the potential for burns picking it up would be pretty high. So... hijacking the thread just a little (sorry!) what mugs are out there that do well as stove-tops? There's the obvious Crusader and silly-money titanium jobs, but what about sensible money stainless or ally? There must be some around?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Stanley are known for insulated flasks and cups. Sorry if stating the obvious but check it is not twin walled and especially insulated between walls. It might not be two walled and might work as a brew kit pot/cup but I'd look at a Vargo sierra cup or something else personally.

Other issues I'd expect is that all the Stanley stuff I've handled is definitely solid, durable and above all heavy. Also the stainless steel base looks like it is separate from the rest of the cup like the base of their vacuum flasks are. That would suggest there is some adhesive involved. Might not be but if it is and you put it on a flame the adhesive could fail leaving the base behind and probably an uneven base without it. Also flame will discolour the base of an otherwise nice cup.

These are just a few thoughts I had. The first one of course was why ruin a nice cup?? Your choice of course.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product388.asp?PageID=100

http://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.uk/i...9492E65615FB55&order=priceHigh&parent=&page=1

Above are just two alternatives that are not too expensive. Also look at Alpkit myti-cup too.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
£18 for titanium? Is that really silly money?? Much better for drinking from after boiling the water.

BTW one other suggestion that if you are a coffee drinker is to have a cup for the stove and take along something light and plastic to use with a GSI Outdoors java drip. Real coffee is worth carrying the java drip and a cup for. GSI do a very light plastic cup too. Coffee grounds and leaf tea are totally biodegradable too unlike those instant coffee sachets or coffee and tea bags. Plus you could use the java drip for other foraged tea. Alternatively if you spend silly money on the over prices MSR titanium you can get a french press from MSR to fit in it for real coffee and tea.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd go for a crusader mug, they hold about 700ml so you in with a chance of filling your belly, 500ml is only good for holding beer really.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Of course.... it is twin walled (don't know if there is insulation between though) to keep the heat in so would probably keep the heat out...Doh!!!

Scrub that Idea will look for something else.

Steve.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
plus the possibility of exploding....

I've seen SS mugs in pound shops that hold around 750ml with wire handles.
I got a couple a few years ago.
Knock up a lid from thin metal and you're good to go.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I thought so Steve, twin walled!! Had a few of those face-plant sudden realization moments myself of late.

If it is just for a brew kit check out the above links particularly the one from BPL-uk. Or alpkit myti-cup. It is about the size of a medium sized mug so you can boil the water in it then drink from it too. If cooking then the same two companies do two similar pot/mugs at a higher capacity. The Vargo Ti-lite and the Alpkit myti-mug. Both are not too expensive for titanium. Well IIRC about £35 possibly. These are big enough to brew up for re-hydrating pouch food then using the rest of the water (still in the pot) to make a brew and drink from. This means only one boil for food and drink.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Looks like those mugs are vacuum sealed so maybe not good over a fire?

I have since decided to sell a kidney or two and buy an MSR Titan kettle and mug. The mug nests in the kettle and I'm hoping a Trangia, mesh stand, coke can wind shield, extra meths and a brew kit will all fit inside as well?

Gonna go see if my local camping store has the MSR stuff tomorrow?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE