cooking equipment

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i was thinking recently about getting some new cooking stuff which is cheap, light, small and needs as little cleaning as possible!

could any of you point me in the right direction?
:?: :?: :?:

cheers :biggthump

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Crusader mug is good ... cheap and no-fuss. Or you can try titanium stuff. As I tend to be messy and throw them on fires I tend to keep it cheap and cheerful!

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I got on with the army surplus mess tins until they were stolen. They cost £2 so wont break the bank. Aluminium might be a bad thing to use a lot though. I may revert back to a large baked bean tin just becasue I can

PurpleHeath

Forager
Jan 5, 2005
West Sussex, England
i have 2 of them but they really annoy me becuase if your not careful they will tip your dinner on the ground :cry:. i have tried to make a clip that was suppose to keep the handle tipping food on the floor but i haven't succeed yet! :?:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
you could fix a hook and eye type catch on them use araldite (epoxy resin) to hold a loop onto the body of the tin. Just have a bit of wire that fits into this suggly holding it open.

I haven't tried it but I've seen similar stuff used

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Theres a thread on Zebra Billy Cans (have a search) that are going cheap from a shop in Weymouth. Stockpots IIRC

They are stainless steel and come in two sizes 10cm & 12cm - about £4 & £6.

Might just get some myself at those prices !

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Andy said:
I got on with the army surplus mess tins until they were stolen. They cost £2 so wont break the bank. Aluminium might be a bad thing to use a lot though. I may revert back to a large baked bean tin just becasue I can
Aluminium never harmed me :eek:): :aargh4: :bu: :red:

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
If you mean a complete kitchen, consider the Trangia model 28 - the MiniTrangia. Add a titanium mug to hold an aluminum windscreen and your bottle of alcohol (spirits for the stove) and you're all set.

http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/browse.cfm/4,2333.html

Or you could get a Trangia burner with a built-in windscreen and pot stand that fits inside any pot you choose.

http://www.clikstand.com/home.htm

If you want really light, inexpensive (but useful) stuff, check out this site:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/alcohol_stove_agreement.html

Bear

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
tk max stainless steel cannister (biscuit tin) about £1 - you need to put a bail on but cheap as chps and last forever!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
Andy said:
Is there any proof that it contributes to the thing I can't spell? (begins with A)
The Alzheimer's Society in the UK have a Fact Sheet which concludes:
"The overwhelming medical and scientific opinion is that the findings outlined above do not convincingly demonstrate a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease, and that no useful medical or public health recommendations can be made, at least at present"

So at the current state of knowledge there doesn't seem any reason to worry about using aluminium pots. It's estimated that the adult human body contains less aluminium than you'd find in an antacid tablet.

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
I cant believe no ones mentioned it :shock: but how about a swedish army mess set from surplus and adventure, its a complete cooking-stove unit and for 9 quid something they throw a set of mess tins in :shock: you dont have to use the trangea stove if you dont want to as the billy it comes with weighs practically nothing :biggthump But as a cheap cooking unit it cant be beaten on value :naughty: :wink:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A lot of 'camping' cookware sets are great with a stove, but not ideal with a fire - a short handle is not ideal and a bail or long handle is better.

I've got a Coleman s/steel outfitter set. Contains a small mug (which I don't use), a big mug that can be used as a small pot, and a large pot with a bail, the lid of which has a handle and can be used as a frying pan. Ray Mears pictures it in his first book.

The Swedish Army stove/cookset may be better yet though - the big pot has ahook on it and the frying pan/lid has a handle with rings so you can shove an improvised extension handle (ie, a stick!) into it. And it's very cheap (£10 delivered from ironclad), and you have the option of using with the meths burner if fires are not feasible.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
dchinell said:
If you want really light, inexpensive (but useful) stuff, check out this site:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/alcohol_stove_agreement.html

Bear

I had a look at this link and found their pot cozy

http://www.antigravitygear.com/products/msr_2_liter_pot.html#

That looks like a great idea to me light and saves loads of fuel by using the heat to continue cooking in the cozy. But customs and shipping from the usa will make it expensive so............ that material looks like stuff you can buy in DIY shops in the UK for pipe insulation and you can get foil tape to seal it. How difficult would it be to make your own?

Bill

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Paganwolf said:
OH and Top Tip, if you paint the bottom third with the heat proof paint used for engines and manifolds on cars when they soot up on the outside you can easily wipe it off :naughty:

Tart! :wink:

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i`m birthday boy soon and people have ordered me a Potjie Three Legged Pot and a Bake Pot from http://www.cdcuk.net/acatalog/Cooking.html , not lightweight i know but full of character and great for comunal cooking ,which i love ,so it should be good for the little tribe ive got who have expressed an interest in going bush :)

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Paganwolf said:
OH and Top Tip, if you paint the bottom third with the heat proof paint used for engines and manifolds on cars when they soot up on the outside you can easily wipe it off :naughty:

If it is heat proof paint won't it stop the water in the pan boiling :naughty:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE