Cooking directly on an open fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
I like to cook meat BBQ style on an open fire. I usually use a grill over embers but it can can have variable results. I'd like some sort of system where a grill could be raised and lowered at will.

Any ideas?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Why don't you get a cake cooling wire rack?
I got one from Asda for peanuts and instead of raising and lowering the rack, control the embers of your fire. IE scrape a few out of the way if it's too fierce or add embers to boost things up a bit. A small pit or scrape by the side of your fire is useful for burning wood until it becomes embers and then you simply add more or take away from the cooking fire, using the side pit/scrape. Balance the cake cooling rack on logs with a flattened side off each log for stability. Place the flattened side of the logs face down on the earth.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
I use a grillput collapasable BBQ

grilliput-portable-camping-travel-grill.jpg

and a small metal trowel (http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/spades-shovels/mini-folding-pignut-shovel.htm)

Then I just strap a stick to the trowl and scoop out my embers whilst leaving my fire alone.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I use a cast iron griddle. The fire can be smaller and you dont need to worry about embers as it can be placed direct over any flame.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Bushcraftsman,

They are both good for different things.

You can't cook for more than one on the honey as bbq. Hence where my grulliput comes in. If its just use, bacon, and eggs (usign a little foil) on the honey is easy

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I mean no disrespect to those who have, and indeed are happy with the grilliput, but i found them to be awful.

I made my own, which i think is lighter than the grilliput, not as fiddly to put together.

Bushcraftman, if you want one, you can have mine.

Rob

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I mean no disrespect to those who have, and indeed are happy with the grilliput, but i found them to be awful.

I made my own, which i think is lighter than the grilliput, not as fiddly to put together.

Bushcraftman, if you want one, you can have mine.

Rob

As a cheap alternative Asda are currently knocking out cake cooling racks.........................for about £1 I think :D :p

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
Just found this page >>>

http://www.touring-gear.com/eshop.php/department/current-page/1/department-id/104/index.html

Has a good rounded selection what we have discussed and some others.

Take a look at there light weight grills - (http://www.touring-gear.com/eshop.p...id/104/product-id/333/lightweight-grills.html)

They look awesome. However I think with our collective bushcraft nounce we should be able to fashion a suitable alternative from an Asda wire bun tray that can be raised and lowered.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Ye has t' watch yer fire ain't t' fierce wi' those grillput thingys.......Ifin they gets t' hot...the grill bars bend in the heat.......just an obsurvation from past uses.:cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE