Cookers and stoves - advice needed!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
OK, before I spend loads of cash on something that I'm not going to use, I need some advice:-
What are the relative merits of the Honey stove, the Bush Cooker, the Bushbuddy and a basic charcoal-burning Hobo stove?

Any replies greatly appreciated

N

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've only experience of the Honey stove from your list, it's a great bit of kit for having a contained fire and coupling it up with a Tatonka meths burner makes it a great set to have in the pack.

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
I'm a big fan of hobo stoves, amazingly fuel efficient and pump out quite a heat. Fuels also effectively free and limitless.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
OK, before I spend loads of cash on something that I'm not going to use, I need some advice:-
What are the relative merits of the Honey stove, the Bush Cooker, the Bushbuddy and a basic charcoal-burning Hobo stove?

Any replies greatly appreciated

N

Well, the honey stove is light, versatile (especially when teamed up with a meths burner) and compact.
The Bush Cooker, Bushuddy and most hobo stoves pretty much have the same pros and cons. Can be quite bulky although most will fit inside a billy can, as versatile as the honey stove, and the hobo stove is cheap and chips.

If you have the money to spare I'd go for the honey stove, I don't have one yet but I might be getting one for my birthday on Friday :D If you don't fancy that then out of the Bushbuddy, Bush cooker and hobo stove I'd go for a hobo stove, it's very easy to make a simple stove but if you want to make a wood gas stove it's still very simple and there are numerous how-to's online.

Hope that helps,
Asa.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have a bushbuddy and LURVE it! I recently bought a whitebox stove to use when a real fire is out of the question and it sits inside the bushbuddy easily for storage/transportation and the bushbuddy acts a s a windshield when it is lit.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I use a good old Nimblewill stove.
It has the same advantage as the Honey Stove - collapsible and packs flat, but without the disadvantage (cost! - you have to make your own Nimblewill stove from the free downloadable plans. Just google 'nimblewill').
I have used a meths burner in it, a Green Heat fuel cell and, most of the time, use it to burn wood like a hobo stove.
Making that was one of the best things I ever did. Although it was a right pain cutting out all that stainless steel sheet. Arguably the best bit of kit I own.
And, since you make them yourself, you can personalise it and make it to the dimensions that suit you best.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
Home made hobo stove for me cost less than £5, and as Shewie says, adding a meths burner to it increases it's versatility.

i only have a hobo stove, cost me 4quid all togethe rto make. £2 for the drainer at poundstrecher. and £2 for the billy... rest was bits lying around.

Dozza

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2010
Hants
Honey stove all the way for me too, either with pine cones or Tatonka burner!
(Well if a nice roaring open fire is out of the question!) :lmao: :D

Does the Tatonka clip in the same way as the Trangia in the 4 side arrangement (as shown in their video)? Thanks.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I love my BushBuddy. Quick and easy to use, small and ligtweight and makes no smoke due to burning woodgas. Excellent for those stealth campers that want to enjoy a nice fire.

Aug 16, 2010
Fetsund, Norway
I have used a trangia for amny years and its the most usefull burner I can think of. If you get the kit so that you can use propan its simpel and fast and will du all your cooking.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does the Tatonka clip in the same way as the Trangia in the 4 side arrangement (as shown in their video)? Thanks.

I had to give the plate which holds the meths burner a few licks with some wet and dry to take my Tatonka. Nothing major but it just needed something to help it drop in and out easier.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I use a wee coke can stove with a DIY windshield. Not experimented with wood yet but I will be having a play with it soon.

CCC37.jpg

CCC38.jpg

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi all honey stove for me great bit of kit fold flat goes in my billy can with a scirroco gas burner triangia burner some hexi blocks and some fuel very compact if one fails youve got other options regards dave

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
If you get an Ikea utensil drainer it fits into an issue canteen holder (thanks southey) si it is light weight, compact and it houses ALL my cooking equipment including 2 pans with lids my penny stove (which boils a litre in about 5 1/2 mins) cotton wool balls a tub of vaseline pencil sharpener and a disposable lighter. So it can be used as a wind sheild for meths burner or used with solid fuels! Can't really go worng with it i'll get some pics later and weigh it too

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE