Coogs style moccs, Mk 1

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
(Coogs moccasin tutorial on Paleoplanet - http://paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/15249 )Well, I made a pattern and cut some goat hide (yes, it's very musty :p ). I sewed and sewed and sewed some more, then just had to try it on when I had nearly finished the first bit and it was looking foot shaped at last :)

The good news, it looks the business! The bad news? Well, I could do with another 1/4" on the pattern around the toes I think, it's so tight I ripped it a litle just getting it on my foot (my fault as I hadn't put the tongue in or reinforced the opening) and it crushes my toes up far too much. But here it is, the first moccasin Mk 1...

moccs001.jpg

moccs003.jpg

I'm going to try it with another 1/4" around the toes for the right foot :)

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
Well done on using some of the hides, did you treat them before hand? do we need to do something to them before making or goods? how to make them smell better.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Mine were relegated to the garden shed as soon as I opened the package. Foisty is what I'd call the pong. They have been commercially tanned at some time in the past. Maybe a good wash in warm soapy water, re-stretched and dried would sort the problem. I'm going to make a couple of pouches first though and just let them hang in an airy place to see if that sorts the smell out. Apart from that, they are nice skins. Well done on the moccs by the way. Once you get the fit spot on, keep the pattern for the next pair.

Eric

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Would marking out whilst wearing a good pair of thick socks not be a good idea? This would then give you a fraction more room and thus solve the tight fit. If you are gonna wear socks inside them, put two pairs on for marking out. Looking good so far though.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
The smell is certainly strong, but I found after a day hanging the smell is now tolerable, not nice but fine. Did you just force a needle through? I found I had to drill it, the only thing I'm made so far is a flask which needs beeswaxed and a stopper. But I'm planning a kind of saddle for a dog, so it can start pulling it's weight on walks.

leon-1

Would marking out whilst wearing a good pair of thick socks not be a good idea? This would then give you a fraction more room and thus solve the tight fit. If you are gonna wear socks inside them, put two pairs on for marking out. Looking good so far though.

Use a thin pair of socks, then place a pencil through the centre of a half cotton real. Now draw the outline, it should give you the leeway that you need. Just a suggestion, but that is how I work out the soles and things on the Moccs that I make.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
I'm planning a kind of saddle for a dog, so it can start pulling it's weight on walks.

maddiesnewvest002.jpg

I have the measurements for this vest if you want them? Made that with some old chrometan I had.

Did you just force a needle through? I found I had to drill it.

No, I used an awl. It would be better done with a glovers needle but I can't find mine (must order some).

Would love to see pics of your stuff too :)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I have the measurements for this vest if you want them? Made that with some old chrometan I had.

Thanks, but I have a kind of different design planned, with built on canvas pouches. By my reckoning, it should be able to carry 3kg which would be good.

For my flask, I took the leather from behind the neck which I found was the thickest. Finished it off, and it looks quite good. It's pretty much identical to the tutorial posted on here a while back, except it's smaller. It holds about 250ml and is very lightweight. I didn't bother dying it as I have no dye, but the beeswax darkened it much more than I was expecting which was really good. And it went rock hard. Unfortunately I have no camera at the moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE