Conkers - Coffee?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
While I mind, there's a lay on Woodlands.co.uk's Youtube channels this week showing how she uses the chestnuts for washing in the machine.
My washing water looks nothing like that. Mine's almost like diluted milk, but then I don't use the brown shells :dunno:
No mention either of any toxicity issues.
Personally I wouldn't be storing the stuff in anything food labelled, but each to their own.

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I have been doing a bit more research on conkers.
Everything I have come across warns you not to ingest them as they have a poison in that will make you at best very ill and can kill .
Please do not experiment with eating them in any way. Soaking them in water and using instead of washing powder is a much better and safer use of them.
Seriously,
Would you eat something you wash your clothes with?
I am useless at posting links but I've just watched a video of a lady who grinds them she'll and all into a powder, then dries the crumbs in a dehydrator (oven works too) storing the dried nuts in a tin with a small muslin bag of rice and then adds some tea tree and lavander oils to make it smell nice. Then when she wants to wash clothes she soaks the dried nuts in water for a few hours to make a washing liquid after straining the mixture, and uses it in her washing machine.
I'm going to try this as it will save a fortune on washing liquid.
I've also watched a video on making hand soap with it.

Please don't eat conkers!

Sweet chestnuts on the other hand are delicious and can be safely eaten.
Don't get confused with these two nuts. It's easily done. They are very similar to look at, and all it takes is someone to miss identify and swear they are eating conkers when in fact they are eating sweet chestnuts. I've seen this myself not so long ago when out with someone we found conkers and my companion got very excited thinking we had found chestnuts.
Use conkers for soap... not putting in alcohol or making biscuits from them!

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
Got me some Conkers because I believe I saw a post about turning them into Coffee Substitute.

Before I start poisoning myself - did I imagine this ? Can Conkers become ' Coffee '??

Conkers or acorns?

I have done acorn coffee before to also know the Germans in WW2 used acorns for coffee, to report it make a bitter brew but perhaps the bitterness can be bettered by various methods I have seen but not tried through having no enthusiasm to try again.

One could also make a coffee substitute out of dandelion roots for that one to not be as bad acorns.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Conkers or acorns?

I have done acorn coffee before to also know the Germans in WW2 used acorns for coffee, to report it make a bitter brew but perhaps the bitterness can be bettered by various methods I have seen but not tried through having no enthusiasm to try again.

One could also make a coffee substitute out of dandelion roots for that one to not be as bad acorns.

Conkers.

" The following notes apply to A. californica, but are probably also relevant here:- The seed needs to be leached of toxins before it becomes safe to eat - the Indians would do this by slow-roasting the nuts (which would have rendered the saponins harmless) and then cutting them into thin slices, putting them into a cloth bag and rinsing them in a stream for 2 - 5 days[213]. "

Last edited:

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Couldn't get horse chestnuts to grow though.
Came across a mention that it likes low pH soil and absolutely not lime. So no problem here, finding any Calsium Carbonate containing soil is like winning a lottery.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I think give it a go, really. How bad can it be? Roast some up ... that'll likely get rid of any nasty in there. I nibbled on them as a kid. They are bitter, so maybe apply a bit of caramel to counter that. And, you know, tell us about it. I can imagine a busy exchange of recipes will flow from that.

Reactions: TeeDee

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Came across a mention that it likes low pH soil and absolutely not lime. So no problem here, finding any Calsium Carbonate containing soil is like winning a lottery.

Honestly not a problem if you get the conditions right. They 'like' being buried in leaf litter to naturally get really cold, stay damp, and then warm up.
My compost heap worked beautifully. It was a cold compost heap, a worm worked one, not one that got hot and steamed. Makes beautiful soil but it's slower than the hot heaps and it doesn't kill off seeds.

M

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
" The following notes apply to A. californica, but are probably also relevant here:- The seed needs to be leached of toxins before it becomes safe to eat - the Indians would do this by slow-roasting the nuts (which would have rendered the saponins harmless) and then cutting them into thin slices, putting them into a cloth bag and rinsing them in a stream for 2 - 5 days[213]. "

Yes, that's just about word for word the process I found as well. It is interesting though that it was not a preferred food for Native Americans - I wonder if we should take note of that.

I think give it a go, really. How bad can it be? Roast some up ... that'll likely get rid of any nasty in there. I nibbled on them as a kid. They are bitter, so maybe apply a bit of caramel to counter that. And, you know, tell us about it. I can imagine a busy exchange of recipes will flow from that.

There are two main toxins in Horse Chestnuts neither of which are removed by roasting alone. The process that TeeDee quoted is detailed in various places with the leaching time quoted between 1 and many days. I don't think you can get away without that part of the process based on my experience of processing other 'toxic' foods TBH.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just watched Richard Mawby of Forage Frolics experiment with Conkers as a food source after coming to the same point as myself.

Reactions: Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE