Confused - can anyone please throw me a bone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
well, not literally!
Calling experts!

Here is something which is baffling me a bit- well... a lot

This is a mixture of beeswax and Tung oil which I use to preserve my wood work.

The oil is heated up and the beeswax dissolved in it then it is left to cool.

After a week weeks a sort of 'brittle-ish' skin develops and instead of my nice a creamy, nivea like, consistency, I get this.

Can anyone throw a light on this? it is really frustrating and wasteful too :frown:

Thank you for any practical tips

Attachments

• mix.jpg
    mix.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 15

Orhdposs

Forager
Mar 27, 2020
Essex
Not sure why but Tung oil will obviously try to dry out? perhaps it would keep better in a jar. Don't throw it away I make my own waxy polish protection for tool handles and if it gets a bit stiff I warm it up in a saucepan of water in it's jar till it melts add a bit of Vaseline or and oil like linseed and stir let it set see if the consistency is what I want carry on.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Tung oil hardens in contact with air so it will always create a had crust on the surface. I only mix tung oil with the wax just before using it for that reason. My normal furniture and tool handle treatment is bees wax with boiled vegetable oil. If there is no food contact I will also use a thinner such as turps for the first few coats.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
Tks Broch & Ohrdposs- I did not know that although the batch was placed in a sealed tupperware box so very little air in there but maybe it is all it took ?
I'm making a new batch with some added paraffin- fingers crossed I get back to the 'nivea cream' :cat2:consistency!!

Reactions: Orhdposs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE