Confirming a Lowe Alpine Saracen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Hey guys I'm going out today to get myself a Lowe Alpine Saracen,
And I wanted to know for sure that the backpack I'm dealing with is indeed a saracen,

One of the pointer I got was Dutch camo, but does anyone have some other pointer for me to check on before I buy the rucksack thinking its a Saracen and not a cheap copy?

Yours sincerely Ruud

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
If it's a lowe alpine saracen it will have the lowe alpine labels inside it.Also where the lid is attatched to the pack at the top near the straps there will be poppers,these will also have the lowe alpine name on the poppers.
All the straps will be in the same DPM as the pack and all the buckles will be green not black.The saracen comes with zip on side pouches,make sure the zips are there.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Thanks sapper, that helps allot, we be on the look out for those poppers, and the color of those buckles, and indeed the sidepouches with zips are with it.
Thanks for helping me out
Yours sincerely Ruud

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
What If the Buckles I find are black, with what kind of material am I dealing with then?

To be honest, all the genuine Lowe Alpines that I have seen have had black buckles. The version made under licence for the dutch forces is pretty good- I've been using one for a while. Material is a good 1000d texturised nylon (cordura type).

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I've had 2 dpm Lowes and both had green buckles.As long as the buckles are somewhere along the lines of ITW you'll be okay but I would check to make sure the rest is genuine lowe.On the other hand if your happy with the build quality and the quality of materials ,does it matter who made it and from what.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
@ Sapper: Nope, your absolutely right my friend, just though that it might get me some extra specs to study.
plus a Saracen for only 140 euro's is in my experience almost stealing, so I will not be trying to haggle him into an unfair deal.
@Lord poncho, Indeed the Dutch army series I saw all had black buckles too, but that is just a difference of series seeing the fact the currently new ones are from the 26 production series, and the black buckles are till production series 18 and below or something like that, couldn't figure out the exact series ^^
Thanks for the support you guys

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I picked up this week a new salient for £70,as you say it's almost stealing.I've also found a pair of pockets to fit for £25 delivered.Lowes are excellent bits of kit.

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
From what I understand, Lowe will no longer be making military gear under the new ownership; it will all be made under license by other firms. Lowe were bought-out by Rab, which will continue to keep and develop the existing civilian product lines. Lowe military gear even surpasses Berghaus and Karrimor SF in my opinion.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I'm well happy with the salient,made by lowe and sold cheap by field and trek.
I had the lowe sabre 35 as a daysack for years.The build quality is better than berghaus and the salient has more features too.Good Kit

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Indeed I completely agree on that
it's almost stealing
thing.
And seeing it developed against Karrimors, its also a thing of taste and what you are looking for, but the Lowe's are more versatile in my opinion, and thus the better pack. Even though I am not some one who shies away from packs like Duluth I like to have a big pack, that is comfortable for long distances and is modular so that if you set up a main camp you have the possibility to just grab your side pouches.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I got myself a Beaut of a Saracen for the mere price of 120 Euro's I am a very satisfied customer
Thanks for all your help guys, so what you say, start customizing it then ;)
Yours sincerely Ruud

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Just gotta gloat - picked up a Lowe Alpine Saracen off evilbay. Appears to be ex-45 RM commandos in immaculate condition, with unused sidepouches (I'm guessing they were never needed considering the size of the Saracen). All straps/buckles etc present and working - in fact the only thing wrongs is that the drawstring on the outer bag is a bit frayed in one place, and the central hip-belt buckle has a well-worn look. (Oh, and the free very large waterproof Arktis "canoe" sack has a couple of minor holes...........) Some interesting additional bungees fitted on the back section - maybe for holding a large sleeping bag? All webbing ends have been carefully taped as well. £66 including shipping - well chuffed!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Some interesting additional bungees fitted on the back section - maybe for holding a large sleeping bag?

Possibly for a roll mat? I tied bungee rope onto mine for that purpose. You wouldn't get the military stowing their sleeping bags on the outside of their packs these days (now that the '58 patt large pack has been kicked into the dustbin it belongs in!). If the bungees are crossed over, then it might be for stowing a helmet- unlikely though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE