Concerns about safety of Deet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Looking at the whole article, added to the millions of applications over the years, I am not conerned.

Yes, it is worrying when you look at what it does to plastic - but it was designed as a plastic softner originally. Equally, there are many chemicals out there which damage other substances, but have no effect to us at all - a bit of water and oxygen causes iron to corrode and turn into red "dust". Do you see me running from O2 or H2O any time soon?

Ag

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
Quite agreed. After all, ethanol has been shown to have damaging effects on the liver but that doesn't stop most of us from chucking large amounts down our necks

:)

H

He' s left the building

From the link: 'In work on rodents at the cellular level, deet blocked an enzyme called acetylcholinesterase... The researchers also found that deet interacts with carbamate insecticides, used in agriculture, increasing their toxicity'

As a precautionary measure I am going to stop using DEET at the cellular level on any rats I encounter, particularly if said rats have been anywhere near agricultural regions where they may have also been exposed to carbamate insecticides.

You know it makes sense :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If people dont realise when the DEET based sprays melt the plastic on their watch or clothing then something is wrong :rolleyes:
It works great but use it sparingly and try to avoid too much repeated skin contact. This information has been around for ever.
Alcohol and ciggies are also bad for pregnant women and children :eek:
I generaly try to avoid it unless things get bad at which point i have considered drinking the stuff! Only kidding by the way....

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Whenever I use it, I spray it on my cotton clothes and hat. You obviously can't avoid all contact with the skin, but you can really limit it.

H

He' s left the building

When I worked in the Caribbean, our local staff would not use DEET without first diluting it with skin moisturising cream or oil. This proved more effective than the neat solution as it was less prone to sweating off.

One of the older chaps would use vaseline/oil on his skin to ward off mossies, the insects would not stay on his skin long enough to bite due to the oil.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
After years of using DEET based stuff I've started using Skin So Soft. Nothing to do with ethics or anything, I just find it works just as well. Another plus is that my skin is now so soft!!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
When you face the West coast midge in all it's bloodsucking horror hordes then you can call me whatever you like as I stand there in my Midgie jacket and laugh at you :D

No jacket = midgie hell
Jacket = no midges but I look ridiculous ?

No contest :D

cheers,
Toddy

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
Another "alarm" report.............it's safe as long as used correctly.....and if another method works for you then even better!

I ergularly use a DEET based repelent, but a friend of mine uses 100% Deet, which he obtains when he goes to the states, don't think you can get that here, but then again there are no everglades in the UK!

One does have to take that bit extra care with children as they do tend to "lick their arms"! LOL

Smoggy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE