Compound bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Hello all I am looking for a compound bow about 60lb draw and draw length of 26-30 I want to have a dable in archery. If you have a bow your not using then please let me know. I have loads of things to trade or maybe cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Nope, not yet for me. Father christmas is bringing me a bickerstaffe because I've been a good boy. I only very recently took up archery, started out with a recurve, then with sights, then a compound. Then on the last day of the course the longbows were brought out. Blown away with it, only shot longbow from then on. I've been using a borrowed bickerstaffe from another member. Time now for me to get my own, because I get withdrawal symptoms if I don't shoot for a couple days.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
I'm gonna say go nuts and try a recurve. I love mine and enjoying every moment with it. I have a solitary arrow and will get more when Hamish has finished my bracers (I fire both left and right handed so have one for each arm being made). Recurve however is arguably the most unforgiving to learn if you are new to the game (in my opinion)

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are just starting out, 60lb is far too heavy a draw weight.

IMHO, anything over 45lb is pointless when you are just target shooting (including field targets).

Best to go to a local club and have a try out with a few bows.

nephilim

Settler
Jul 24, 2014
Bedfordshire
If you are just starting out, 60lb is far too heavy a draw weight.

IMHO, anything over 45lb is pointless when you are just target shooting (including field targets).

Best to go to a local club and have a try out with a few bows.

This, in fact, starting out anything over 30lbs would be pointless as you need to build strength (unless you do weights a lot). You'd be surprised just how much a bow can hurt you if you haven't done it before.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Thoughts on this 40lb or 45lb I am 6 foot tall and reasonably strong
0fb1d2e85fb05ffafffb67623337127a.jpg
3e63be2e6bf9bcb3fa3fc3944e82aa69.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Size and strength has nothing to do with it, listen to the advice given go for a 30 or 35 lb bow, but the above is a great starter bow

CACTUS ELF

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 16, 2012
Cheshire
There was a Matthews solocam compound for sale in the members classified section if you still fancy a compound. 60lb pull on a compound isn't a problem as once the bow is drawn you can hold it without much effort however with a recurve even 30lb feels tough. Great fun though either way ☺

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
Will I find that a 30lb bow I will get board because it's low powered and end up buying a more powerful bow a few weeks later?

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Will I find that a 30lb bow I will get board because it's low powered and end up buying a more powerful bow a few weeks later?

What you need to know is that once past 45lb, the bows don't really shoot the arrows any faster, you just end up using heavier arrows.

30-35lb lets you learn how to shoot without challenging your muscles (for a normal healthy adult man).

If you start with too heavy a bow, you'll end up frustrated because you won't be able to hold the bow steady and concentrate on form.

Olympic archers seldom shoot over 45lb bows; would hitting a target at 100m bore you?

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
You can start low, but you will build muscle mass for archery and feel you want to up the poundage, you really should start low but maybe not to low. Do you have any archery clubs near you? Do you want to shoot in the back garden, target or 3d targets ?

Lupis

Forager
Dec 12, 2009
Scotland
That Bucktrail Blackhawk is a surprisingly good bow for the money, I have one. As others have said I wouldn't go above 35lbs if it's your first bow. It's harder to get proper form with high poundage bows when starting out. But as mentioned above try and get to a club, they'll have bows you can use and you'll get a feel for if it's something you wat to stick at before spending money on kit that might be wasted.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
As said by previous posts, get in touch with your local club. They will have various bows for you to try, and use over a period until you decide what you want to shoot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE