Commando Wire Saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
I've just tried to cut a peice of wood up with a commando wire saw not very thick about an inch or so but it keeps jamming any ideas on what I am doing wrong is there a technique for using these type of saws? :sulkoff:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've just tried to cut a peice of wood up with a commando wire saw not very thick about an inch or so but it keeps jamming any ideas on what I am doing wrong is there a technique for using these type of saws? :sulkoff:

You could try to make a handsaw, by using a bent piece of wood which creates a 'handle' and the rings attached to each end of the stick. This way the wire saw stays straight and it's easier tot maintain constant force & speed.
Be gentile with it, they are prone to break.

After use (and it's still in one piece) let the saw cool down before rolling it up and pack away ;) - and give it some vaseline / oil coating tot prevent rust.

Don't fall asleep :11doh: ;)

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
These are only meant for cutting fence posts.Not much good for routine use in the woods.

I have one for use in emergencies and don't expect it to last for more than half a dozen goes.:rolleyes:

You would be better off with a folding saw of some sort,IMO.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Seperate your arms when you are sawing, if you have the saw wrapped around the wood and your hands almost together as you saw, you use a greater amount of the saw edge. By holding your arms further apart and sawing, you don't use as much of the saw at one time, so get a cut less likely to bind.

I think this is where the marketing folk have really sucked a lot of us in as these saws are really only a novelty. I'd like to see anyone after they have cut a fence post with one pmsl :lmao: For survival kits they may just save the day, for plumbers cutting awkward plastic pipes they are a help but for me on any foraging for material they are a total waste of space and money. Any bladed saw will be better than a wire saw! For those of us who grudge paying £20 for a laplander, £3 in Liddles were selling excellent pruning saws recently with a rubber gripped handle that were just as good at cutting :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Stuart wrote an excellent piece on these saws; he was involved with the company and clearly identified the limitations even though the end result fulfilled the original brief. It's fine for the intended use but not suitable for our everyday needs, was his opinion iirc.
I'll see if I can find his post.

cheers,
Toddy

Moff8

Forager
Jul 19, 2004
Glasgow
for a roll up saw I would recommend the sabre cut hand chainsaw ( can't remember if thats the right name), I have used this a few times in the garden for lopping and felling trees.

I also used the commando wire saw before. I used to attach one end to a heavy weight and then pull on the other end. This meant I didn't have to stand under the branch I was cutting and the weight kept the saw tight.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
i've snaped alot of them when all i had was the sas handbook
and a home made tin like said before it's best to make a bow saw with it
swap the rings for para cord so they won't cut in to your hands helps as well

Jan 30, 2006
Salisbury
The wire commando saw does not cut effectively if bent in a tight radius, the straighter you can keep it the better.
It's not the fastest cutting tool but it will get there with slow and steady strokes.
If it keeps sticking try drawing it across a candle before use to give it a bit of lube.

commandocal

Nomad
Jul 8, 2007
UK
There total crap! I was given one on an Army course E&E exercise totally useless took me ages to saw thro a post in the end we ended up kickin them off the fence,and after 1 post it broke, what a suprise!

Brendan

Nomad
Dec 1, 2004
Surrey UK
I've tried a few different makes from ebay cheapos to BCB and everyone has snapped after very little use, maybe I'm heavy handed but don't rely on them in an emergency.
I've cut some sizable chunks of wood with the saw on my leatherman though when caught without a full size saw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE