Coleslaw.......doh !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
How have I lived so long without knowing that coleslaw is so much nicer if you use half mayo and half Greek yoghurt, you all probably know that already but it was a revelation to me !

Reactions: Toddy

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Coleslaw is much nicer if you make it yourself! My preference is for 2 tablespoons of mayo a tablespoon of yogurt, a tablespoon of English mustard, a glue of red wine vinegar, salt and pepper. For vegetables I use red cabbage, spring onion, carrots and broccoli. All fine cut with a knife. Nom nom nom.....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Slaw is essential when you BBQ (not grill) side ribs and pork shoulder for pulled pork.
I agree = learn to make a few different dressings from scratch.
Weber and others have cranked out very good cookbooks.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Homemade slaw beats that shop bought junk any day no contest a realy different thing altogether. I like to make fancy slaws with nuts and cheese in too. Made some today for my guests. Non left and I made loads! :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Have you tried canned coleslaw? as in home made kilner jar type canning.
It's surprisingly good. Sweet and sour with no mayonnaise or yoghurt added, though you can drain it and add if you like.
I make 5 jars per batch, and though it never lasts long, it can last quite happily for several years in the Kilner jars. Easy to keep at hand, and very good for camping, if not going lightweight.

This was the recipe that I followed when first I made it. I admit that I add other stuff to mine now, but this is a really good basic/start recipe.
https://chickensintheroad.com/farm-bell-recipes/canned-coleslaw/

Doesn't need a pressure canner, just a big pot, and it's pretty much fuss free.
If you want to try and don't have Kilner or leparfeit jars (I'm going to get attacked for this by the canning purists, but, hey-ho) you can save and scour out the jars that come with tomato sauces and the like and simply reuse those. The Italians have been doing this for generations (long time before WW1 at least, according to my son's Italian gf) to make and store their 'red sauce' , etc., from their gluts at harvest time, so it's perfectly do-able. So long as the seal takes, and clicks in, keep the jars in the fridge and use it up within a couple of weeks.
Caveat; I'm not telling anyone to make and store for months or years using non-canning jars, but it's a decent way to try it out.
There's a lot of mince talked about these jars not 'being as thick, or as safe, or as suitable'...but you note that most of that mince comes from canning sites, and food manufactuers pressure can those very jars themselves. I have every kind of canning jar available, and a lot of them would have been thrown out as substandard by the food industry. They are uneven, and virtually all of them are now made in China. Food manufacturers demand reliable quality, not rustic. The Kilner, etc., jars are blooming expensive too.
The canning industry is now railing against traditional jam making, claiming that it's killing people with botulism....have any of you ever heard of a single incident of botulism from jam ? the worst that happens is a hangover because the stuff starts to ferment. The mould that grows very occasionally on a jar is just removed. Like bread, or cheese...but according to the canning sites that's poisonous and toxic and will KILL us :rolleyes:
I am becoming ancient, and I'm still here :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I like fresh slaw that's as fine slice cabbage as I can possibly cut.
Grated carrots and red radishes, maybe sweet corn, for color.
Good EVO and balsamic vinegar dressing with salt.
Toss together, pack in a big bowl and refrigerate over night.

The "canning industry" in Canada attempted to make some changes to their product lines of jars and lids for home preserves.
All of a sudden, they had to face thousands and thousands of angry, snarling farm women and a good few city folk,
That near death experience reversed all decisions and the top quality lids and jars are as before.

What we are seeing is that glass jar canned products come in containers which can be reused for home preserves.
They take standard lid sizes. Classico spaghetti sauce is a fine example = wide mouth home canning jar.
All kinds of Smuckers brand jellies and jams. Why the hell not? Stupid, stupid Kraft salad dressing bottles.

Reactions: Toddy

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Homemade slaw beats that shop bought junk any day no contest a realy different thing altogether. I like to make fancy slaws with nuts and cheese in too. Made some today for my guests. Non left and I made loads! :(

I’ve been having a cupboard and freezer clear out today ready for Christmas and found a bag of pumpkin seed and a bag of sunflower seeds, both dated 2018.

Dry roasted the lot in the wok and added a sploosh of light soy sauce. Kept it all turning until the seeds sounded dry and tinkly again and dumped a load into green bean and roast red pepper salad. Be good in a coleslaw, I chuck walnuts and celery in to make Waldorf Coleslaw. If I’m not fresh out of Waldorfs. ;) :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o and Toddy

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like cole slaw full stop. Home made or store bought. That said, most of the time a good home made will be better. I prefer the ones that use dressings other than mayonnaise (Vidalia dressing is a personal favorite)

I also like close slaw with a bit of thinly sliced jimaca.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I like fresh coleslaw, but I don't digest milk well, and sometimes commercial coleslaws leave me with indigestion. This canned recipe is sweet and tangy, but rinses off well to make into one as @bigbear does too. Handy to keep in the pantry, or when I'm trying to use up a glut of cabbage and carrots and have too much sauerkraut already.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have a cooked colelaw recipe from a very capable Canadian great aunt who used to run the Scouts here. I will find it because it is fantastic and should be shared. Needs to sit in the fridge for a few days for best effect.

Like Santaman, I love coleslaw in all forms and in one way or another kind of live on the stuff really. It is easy to get cheap bags of shredded broccoli and kale here, for lazy days.

Favourite is broccoli, apple, toasted seeds and cranberries with a bit of radicchio or chicory in it for liveliness and bit of kale for the chewing.

I keep a little notebook of recipes for the dressing, but a poppyseed dressing will usually see me happy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE