Coleman 424 double ring - opinions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Hi all

I have got my dirty mitts on a coleman 424 - dual fuel, 2 rings.

Never used one before. Worth hanging onto? Any opinions?

TIA

Alex

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Brilliant bit of kit, easy to light and available spares if required, just try to find somewhere that sells Aspen 4t much cheaper than coleman fuel!

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
With Dual fuel you can just use unleaded petrol. They are a great bit of kit. I bought my first one used when I was 16 years old Had it for 25years and gave it to a friend when I moved here from the states. It wasnt dual fuel and never had a problem at all. Bought a new one over here three years ago as well as a Coleman two mantle lantern. You will not regret it.

Lupin Rider

Mar 15, 2009
uk
Its the fasting thing to boil water on. Can be savage for finesse cheffing in the woods though. As post above says i only run mine on unleaded. Much cheaper.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
>>> Worth hanging onto?

Yup, definately worth a play :cool: .

I have a reversible Cast Iron Griddle (similar to this) which will _just_ fit on top for an easy fry up ;) .

All the usual disclaimers on the link ~ not an endorsement & no connections. I just knew that I could find a pic of this type of griddle on their site.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I have got my dirty mitts on a coleman 424 - dual fuel, 2 rings.

Never used one before. Worth hanging onto? Any opinions?

They're fine. To be honest the terms 'dual fuel' and '2 rings' are both stretching the point. It runs on white gas (Aspen 4, Coleman fuel, maybe heptane or thereabouts). It will run on petrol (gasoline) but I don't recommend it. Petrol stinks, and I think that goes against the more 'domestic' than 'camping' nature of the product. Using petrol in one of these stoves produces goodness knows what nasty combustion products. We seem to have reached the conclusion on this forum that Coleman burners (specifically the generators) aren't quite so tolerant of gasoline as some other burners. It won't run at all on paraffin, lamp oil, diesel, essence F, alcohols and some other common fuels. At least on mine there's only one generator so you have to light the burner on the right hand side and then open a kind of valve to let some of the gas it generates through to the left side. You can't just have the left side going on its own. It's bulky and it isn't really light. The construction is IMO a little bit flimsy but adequate. In operation the flame is quiet, almost like a gas flame. Good wind shielding. Very nice to use, very controllable. Excellent working surface for pans, you won't find much better unless you're in the Caravan Club. Good sized fuel tank. Lighting it without making a big pool of highly inflammable liquid somewhere is a bit of an art.

Definitely worth hanging onto, I won't be selling mine. :)

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Just saw one of these on Gumtree in Edinburgh for £50 in good condition and looks ok in the picture .
Was wondering if it was worth buying , I don't really need one at the moment but would be good for a base camp in the winter .

Craig. .....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE