Cold weather bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Hi all, I would like some advice, I'm looking to get a bag that will keep me nice and warm in cold temps, my current bag is just too small, I was thinking an issue bag as they sound like they are roomy, the problem is I'm 6ft and 19st with a 50inch chest, most bags I've had wont even zip up! I don't have lots of funds so the issue bag seems a good option in that respect too, I have seen plenty on evilbay from £25 to £45, which is about how much I can spend tbh, so many different types! 58 pattern down filled or 90 and 95 pattern synthetic, not sure what's best? One other option is because of my size I just go for a massive wool blanket, heavier and bulkier option, unsure on cost though?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers, G.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
My advice, get a any snugpak bag made in the UK (softie range) and get an 'expanda' panel, which is a wedge of sleeping bag that zips into the bag to add more room. You can add any number of expanda panels. Failing that square bags are roomier and cheaper generally.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I'm 6'5'' with a 48-50 chest and my Carinthia Defence 4 fits fine and is very toasty, you can find them or the Dutch Army copy on eBay/Fu-Kit for around your budget.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Issue bags are excellent warm solutions, just bulky. Are you planning on walking far with the bag or car camping? If you're walking far, bear in mind that the bag will probably half fill your rucksack. They are however bombproof and very warm I've had mine in -6.5degrees in a hammock and been toasty.

gregor-scott

Nomad
Apr 26, 2010
bournemouth
Issue bags are excellent warm solutions, just bulky. Are you planning on walking far with the bag or car camping? If you're walking far, bear in mind that the bag will probably half fill your rucksack. They are however bombproof and very warm I've had mine in -6.5degrees in a hammock and been toasty.

Not planning on carrying too far so weight isn't an issue, more the bulk! I need room for all my other kit.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Army issue arctic bag. It's heavy, takes up most of the main compartment of a sabre 45, but if you get a large one (and I'm no tiddler), it's big enough to turn around in easily. I got one plus a new issue goretex bivvy bag on ebay for £50, so it doesn't have to be expensive either - and you will never be cold in it.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I really dont want to sound like a spammer but im selling a load of snugpak bags, snugpak sell an "expander panel" which zips into the bag increasing the size, they fit all snugpak bags. whats your budget i may be able to help...

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I have a 50" chest as well. I use a snugpak hawk 9 with no issues and it has a comfort rating of -5 and a extreme rating of -10, it measures 165cms at the chest so there is a bit of room to wear some kit when in the bag, the expanda panel is great because you can wear what you want and add a fleece if you go to extreme weather conditions. I have been on the pennine way near mankinoles last weekend and had no problems sleeping in it in pretty ****ty weather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE