Cold water immersion?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Just wondering if there's anyone that does cold water immersion, the Wim Hoff stuff or just likes/wants to get into cold water for health/toughness etc.

I do it a few days a week, shower to cold for a couple of minutes and feel good with it, also trying to get into the sea for a dip (getting shorter in time due to brain freeze coming on quicker!!)

So, just wondering if anyone else is doing it, or has done it etc and what's your thoughts?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I have experience.

I have a " converted " IBC I dunk in. Its basically just a cube of water I treat with a few swimming pool chemicals to keep algae growth down. Its got sufficient mass to be a good cold spot. I keep something inside it to sit upon - get the water up to clavicle level and then do either box breathing or fire breathing.

What do you want to know?

cold2.jpg

Kvalsund.
cold1.jpg

Worth a read if you're interested in it.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff @TeeDee, that sounds like commitment!

I'm good with the mechanics of doing it, there's plenty of cold water around here. I was more after what' peoples experience, what do they like or dislike about it Andy why, has it created change in body and mind etc.

I'm reading the Wim How method book at the mo, would you advocate reading the What doesn't Kill Us book as well as that?

At the moment my fire breathing comes on unintentionally so I'll need to take control of that :D

From a long term perspective, what do you feel it does for you?

@oldtimer That's excellent, I'm planning on Christmas day this year, not done it since I was a kid, although my 23 year old lad does it every year, well, he goes in whenever he can.
I'm managing every month so far, it's getting cold now though, brain freeze has started!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good stuff @TeeDee, that sounds like commitment!

I'm good with the mechanics of doing it, there's plenty of cold water around here. I was more after what' peoples experience, what do they like or dislike about it Andy why, has it created change in body and mind etc.

I'm reading the Wim How method book at the mo, would you advocate reading the What doesn't Kill Us book as well as that?

At the moment my fire breathing comes on unintentionally so I'll need to take control of that :D

From a long term perspective, what do you feel it does for you?

@oldtimer That's excellent, I'm planning on Christmas day this year, not done it since I was a kid, although my 23 year old lad does it every year, well, he goes in whenever he can.
I'm managing every month so far, it's getting cold now though, brain freeze has started!

After doing it for a few years I'd say there is different aspects and returns to it - Physical , Emotional , Mental, possibly Spiritual if it doesn't sound pretentious.

Rather than me ramble off and wax lyrical whilst potentially over sharing and boring others maybe worth asking what is drawing YOU to it rather than what I get from it?

Whilst you say you are good with the mechanics of it - it clearly doesn't require a PHD to get wet and cold but there are a few nuances and tips i could share and the reasons why I do it one way over others. ie - Afterdrop.

I like Wim Hof and respect him and his school I also feel its become a little cultish in terms of exchanging money for imparted wisdom... at the end of the day its SAID principles in effect which is why I'm suggesting the other book. There is more than one show in town ref the whole principle of Cold water immersion.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Came up on my FB page from a few years back as Me swimming there 4 years ago on this day.

Foggin Tor quarry. I've been here a few times for various reasons.

Another Cold place to swim as the Stones seem to suck the Dartmoor cold in. Bracing.

dc1.jpg

dc2.jpg

dc3.jpg

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
No thanks, tried wild swimming a couple of times in the colder months..was like hammers to my legs & I couldn’t breath.(asthmatic) not to mention when it got to my nether regions.. they went inside for a warm
I guess I’m not cut out for it?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
No thanks, tried wild swimming a couple of times in the colder months..was like hammers to my legs & I couldn’t breath.(asthmatic) not to mention when it got to my nether regions.. they went inside for a warm
I guess I’m not cut out for it?

I think by 'tried wild swimming a coupe of times in the colder months' wasn't the best entry vector for trying it. If one wanted to get acclimatised to something one would incrementally increase the general exposure as opposed to going in full wack.

If I wanted to get comfortable in taking Cold showers I would slowly turn the hot water input down over a course of weeks rather than do it in one go and start wondering why i'm not coping as well as I had imagined I would have.

abilou

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2010
maidstone
I swam this morning but use a wetsuit now. Water temp was around 6 c . Had a summer of rashes and itching due to a parasite in the water. The wetsuit seems to help. I tend to keep it on til I get home and get less cold as a result.

Reactions: TeeDee

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I did a Christmas Day swim in 2019 I think it was... or maybe it was 2017, whichever year I remember it being a particularly cold year and the sea was blooming freezing, but it was for charity and I was game...

Other than that I've done a few dips in stuff on Dartmoor.. Crazy well pool springs to mind.

Although I've since read about parasites and particularly unpleasant things, so it's put me off some of the fresh water spots...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I did a Christmas Day swim in 2019 I think it was... or maybe it was 2017, whichever year I remember it being a particularly cold year and the sea was blooming freezing, but it was for charity and I was game...

Other than that I've done a few dips in stuff on Dartmoor.. Crazy well pool springs to mind.

Although I've since read about parasites and particularly unpleasant things, so it's put me off some of the fresh water spots...

If you are familiar with Haytor you may have wandered down into Haytor quarry just below it ? A small fetid pool which is no doubt the final resting place for a few misguided sheep.

Anyhooo - I went there for a paddle and came nose to nose with a disgusting Horse leech... very unpleasant.

As a method of aftercare whilst swimming in such places I would ensure I took a heavy dose of Vitamin C for a few days and generally keep the body flushed with clean water.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby

I totally understand the dangers of wild swimming, there are dangers in everything we do.. yet the power off good health & well-being far out way the negatives.
I’m not the best swimmer & have nearly drowned 3 times, yet I still try it when given the chance.
Brave or stupid, I’ll take that chance.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
@TeeDee yup, I love the moors (Dartmoor) it is/was my local haunt when I had a but more time on my hands. I think we'll likely have a camp there within the next few weeks as the edge of the moors is only 20 mins from us.

@henchy3rd I am/was a very good swimmer, I spent many years in the surf in North devon/Cornwall.. a plunge has never bothered me and as for drowning, I'm pretty good at general risk assessing in life, if I don't think I'll survive it, I will most likely avoid doing it.. I used to be a lifeboatman in the RNLI, so I'm used to crappy seas etc, but admittedly we very rarely went into the sea... However visually assessing something is very easy when it's frothing away... visually assessing one of those willy fish (I know we don't have them in the UK) or a brain eating amoeba (in the US) isn't something I can do Hahaha.. So its kinda less tempting these days...

But I'd still probably do it now I've seen TeeDee has...he's still around and seems as normal as the rest of us:woot::woot:

• Haha

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The only thing else I'd suggest being aware of is potential underwater entanglements.

I mostly got into Wild swimming when I was going through a rough patch in my life and would take myself off on my todd to anywhere I found in books or via Google maps to get wet in - Lakes, pools, disused quarries , extra large pot holes..

Looking back on it now it wasn't the most safe of practices - I'd find somewhere to swim without giving much thought to the H&S aspect of it. There could have been anything left entanglement wise in some of the places I swam without any method of getting help ( signalling ) once in the water and obviously being alone , no-one on site to give me a hand.

That being said - if i felt a bad vibe i'd cut it short and kick the day to the kerb without further thought. Important to listen and follow your gut instincts I reckon.

Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE