Cold Steel video - More proof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I saw this DVD a few weeks back. And I must say it was one of the most SILLY things I've ever seen. They cut cardboard like men into pieces like that was cool and meat. :rolleyes: Like a knife has to be really sharp to do that. :rolleyes: They do a lot of testing with various blades, but when they chop for example, he puts so much pressure and force, that it's the force and not the edge that cuts. I realise that a sharp edge is needed but this is too silly.

I will never deal with CS, I have their kukri machete which is c--p compared to my Valiant Golok which I got for less the price of the kukri machete. It's also more beautiful and far more effective.

I will put this DVD on when I need a good, loooong laugh Cold Steel. :D

cheers.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I moved this here because it doesn't really fit in Resources, it certainly isn't Bushcraft or Wilderness Media.

I would second that the "More Proof" is silly. The first Proof they did was still silly, but not so much so. CS still makes solid knives, and when purchased in the US they are an economical alternative. They don't do much in the way of bushcraft knives, mostly they are interested in brute strength, chopping, and martial blades. Still, I have a SRK which is not a bad knife in the sharp pry bar division ;) Their factory seconds used to be excellent value, not sure if it has changed or not, bought mine about 9 years back. Their folders aren't bad either if you want light and simple.

Edd-UK

Feb 9, 2005
Wirral, uk
yer it is a good laugh. the best bit is when he goes on the hunt at the junk pile of cars. he just goes nuts, smashing everything in site.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
they're not all bad, i've got the LTC kuhkri and i've been abusing it for the last 12 years and it's still going strong.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I've read a few articles on the 'net, the basic idea that one gets out of them is that Cold Steel isn't really all that great. Isn't it pretty expensive too? It is over here in the Great White North of Canada, our currency's sh-t.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Cold Steel is headquartered in my County and I've met the owner. Lyne Thompson does not make knives. Other people, including Camillus, various japanese and taiwanese knifemakers make Cold Steel Knives. There is no proprietory secret steel either.The products are a mixed bag of bad, indifferent and truly excellent tools. The first time I met Lyne was at a horsefloat dealer I was working with. I was wearing my Puukko and he barely had time to finish badmouthing my bosse's Spyderco before starting in on me. I cooly suggested if he wanted to sell his knives to stop charging for the***** catalogs. He then started boasting to my boss ( a Winchester model 70 collector) about taking Africa's BIG 5 with a handgun. My next encounter was at an archaeological job at the Mission San Buenaventura. I was clearing a nasty exotic plant from the old water system with a nepalese made kukhri among a crew wielding Tramontinas. Lyne was all hot to provide us with his 'superior' kuks and machetes if he could videotape our using them. I calmly explained that buying ethnic tools from the people who created the patterns was supporting the survival of those very traditions he was exploiting. The resulting scene was reminincent of a Bug Bunny Cartoon with a tall protagonist holding back a enraged short one.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Addyb, The finest knife for Vancouver's unique set of outdoor conditions is the Grohman Russell. In the UK it's the various domestic Bushcraft varients. In Scandinavia the many nordic pattern products. French bushcrafters should always start out with Opinels. Always, always support your local countryman's efforts first. It keeps needed money in the community. To do anything else is plain un american. :cool:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
ChrisKavanaugh said:
Cold Steel is headquartered in my County and I've met the owner. Lyne Thompson does not make knives. Other people, including Camillus, various japanese and taiwanese knifemakers make Cold Steel Knives. There is no proprietory secret steel either.The products are a mixed bag of bad, indifferent and truly excellent tools. The first time I met Lyne was at a horsefloat dealer I was working with. I was wearing my Puukko and he barely had time to finish badmouthing my bosse's Spyderco before starting in on me. I cooly suggested if he wanted to sell his knives to stop charging for the***** catalogs. He then started boasting to my boss ( a Winchester model 70 collector) about taking Africa's BIG 5 with a handgun. My next encounter was at an archaeological job at the Mission San Buenaventura. I was clearing a nasty exotic plant from the old water system with a nepalese made kukhri among a crew wielding Tramontinas. Lyne was all hot to provide us with his 'superior' kuks and machetes if he could videotape our using them. I calmly explained that buying ethnic tools from the people who created the patterns was supporting the survival of those very traditions he was exploiting. The resulting scene was reminincent of a Bug Bunny Cartoon with a tall protagonist holding back a enraged short one.
I would anytime rather have a Puukko than Cold steel. He obviously don't realise that a scandi grind is the best for outdoor use, well woodcarving being the force. :rolleyes:

Sorry 'bout the misplacement. :)

You can still get a Valiant for much much less (60-80 AUS Dollars) and it will (when sharpened) be just as effecient. :)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
just had a look at the cold steel website, :eek:
i paid about 1/4 of what they're asking for an LTC khukri (although it was about 12 years ago)
i still think it's a pretty good cutter, but i wouldn't pay those prices.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lynn Thompson is also very quick to go to court for slander and has been very successful there over the years. I think AG Russell could attest to that.

Personally I think the Cold Steel Red River and Hudson Bay line was the best thing CS ever made. Too bad they don't make 'em anymore.

coldsteelrrhb.jpg

This is one I modified. With the edge thinned and convexed, it makes a great all-round outdoors knife.

redrivermadness1.jpg

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hoodoo said:
Lynn Thompson is also very quick to go to court for slander and has been very successful there over the years. I think AG Russell could attest to that.

Personally I think the Cold Steel Red River and Hudson Bay line was the best thing CS ever made. Too bad they don't make 'em anymore.
I have one of those Red River Knives (the one on the left) and love it. It is not fancy and basic but a superb tool.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I was looking at the BKCG website earlier and noticed that they sell the Fallkniven F1. However at the bottom of the sales page they say

" ...but consider whether it's worth the small extra investment for a cold steel master hunter." (for small read nearly twenty quid more)

Now I have neither knife and have never tried them, but considering the good press the F1 gets and the posts about Cold Steel above this advertising claim doesn't seem to fit :confused:

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
Knife retailers are not only the middlemen, but get caught in the middle. Your supplier wants you to buy x number at x cost and then you have to sell them at a profit to customers wanting 'a deal.' It may be this dealer has an abundance of CS products and is subtly trying to move some inventory. They are both good knives. The knife market is almost overwhelmed with makers and product lines and the net has provided a worldwide consumer base with websites such as this one to sort through every detail down to the alignment of scale pins. The F1 is the flagship of Peter's company. It has gone through 3 major steel changes and one limited test run in powdered steel. It's the specified survival knife for the Swedish AF and accepted along with the S1 for Navy/Marine force pilots. Between the two there is no comparison,either in price or laboratory break tests, not that I intend to impale old chevy doors and slash telephone books with either blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE