Cold night out hanging

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I am fairly new to hammocking but not new to sleeping out. Last night I was out in my hammock and I was cold. I used my winter down sleeping bag that I've used numerous times on the ground and in various conditions including snow-holing and well below freezing - I'm normally really toasty in it, this is the first time I have felt cold in it. I was also using a winter down underblanket below the hammock. I'm not sure exactly what the temperature was but I'm guessing that it was just above freezing and dry. I was cool throughout the night, not shivering. So what did I do wrong as I expected to be nice and warm?

cheers

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Which underblanket were you using? Did you have any gaps between the UB and the hammock? Were there any open holes at the ends of the UB to allow air through?

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
Hi Shewie,

It's a UK Hammocks winter underquilt. There was no holes at the ends to let any air flow through, however, there was a bit of a gap between the UB and the hammock.

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hi Shewie,

It's a UK Hammocks winter underquilt. There was no holes at the ends to let any air flow through, however, there was a bit of a gap between the UB and the hammock.

Mark

How much is a bit? :)

If it was only around an inch or so that shouldn't matter, if it's more like three or four then you'll feel a chill for sure. I don't have any of Mats underblankets but I do have a number of his topquilts and recommend them to anyone. Did you feel cold in general or was it just in your back and butt?

I think Mat is away in the jungle at the moment but he'll be back soon, he should be able to explain it better than me.

Which hammock have you got btw?

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
About the height of a fist so that's probably the cause then. I didn't feel cold in one particular area, it was cold in general, but it was a long night as it got dark at 1915 up here last night and not light again until 0730 this morning.
Yes, according to Matts website he is away playing in the jungle.
I've got the Woodsman X double layer, nice and comfy - when it's not too cold :)

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It does sound like it's the height thing to me, try and get it snugged up a bit more next time you try. You really need that down against your body so it warms up rather than hanging below, not too tight to compress it but definitely up against your hammock fabric.

It's usually an easy fix depending on the suspension you've got on it, have a play around and you'll soon suss it out. I'm not sure what Mat puts on his UBs but it should be just a case of making the long bungees shorter, once you get in it'll move with your body and settle into place.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE