Cold Feet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Im getting old. It’s official.

I have a decent sleeping bag. a Down Rab 900. A full length mat.

Yet last weekend my sleep was interrupted by cold feet.

So what’s your tips to keep the old toes toasty. I don’t like wearing socks in bed. Although I might have to consider something along those lines.

Reactions: Le Loup

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Hot water bottle? Socks just take a bit of getting used to and are worth it for warm feet. Hotties go cold eventualy socks keep you warm all night long.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to the hot water bottle. It's worth it :)
Failing that, a couple of those little clickable handwarmer things inside your socks work very well too.
If you wrap your hot water bottle up in something like a towel or tshirt, it'll give off heat slowly and it'll still be warmish by morning :D

M

Reactions: Woody girl

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Do you have circulation issues?
Where you hydrated?
Was the weather just too cold for the sleeping bag you used?
Is the sleeping bag roomy round your feet?
If you do not want to wear socks what do you wear in the sleeping bag?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have very poor circulation, I can't tell if my feet are cold unless I touch them.
So I bought absurdly thick socks. Like 1/4" thick.
Bed socks. Somehow, their heat-trapping effect is noticed by my tiny brain.
The baggy warmth over-rode any odd discomfort from wearing them.
Can't be the least bit restrictive in any way.

The other option around the house is an extra pair of the felt liners from Sorrel snow boots.
I never have had the need to even imagine wearing those to bed!

Im getting old. It’s official.

I have a decent sleeping bag. a Down Rab 900. A full length mat.

Yet last weekend my sleep was interrupted by cold feet.

So what’s your tips to keep the old toes toasty. I don’t like wearing socks in bed. Although I might have to consider something along those lines.
I do not take any clothes off on winter nights, in fact I carry extra to put on. I do not remove my moccasins. You could consider carrying a hot rock bag with you, a close friend of mine used to do that. I only ever use one wool blanket in winter, but use a fire with a rock reflector & my shelter is open to admit the heat from the fire, or I use a shelter that allows a fire inside. I make my bed on a bed of sticks or bark & sometimes I add dead ferns if they are available.
Keith.
Making-Camp-full-2-REDUCED.jpg
Snow-Walk-for-trek-video-17-7-2015-003-JPG2-JPG-LARGE3-REDUCED.jpg
Moccasin-soles-1-REDUCED.jpg

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I don't realy winter camp any more but I know what you mean about cold feet keeping you awake. I always carry a pair of thin merino wool socks for chilly toes. I have also used a drinking water bottle filled with hot water and well wrapped up as a hot water bottle in an emergency . Make sure you go to bed with warm feet. Give them a vigorous rub untill they feel warm before you settle in to your bag. As soon as it feels warm stick it in your bag to keep it from getting cold while you do the other foot.

Reactions: Toddy

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Mmm... I suspect you know the answers already Wayne ;)

The only reason you'll have cold feet in a well insulated sleeping bag is because of bad circulation. So, get into the habit of wriggling your toes as you go to sleep. Eventually you'll find you do it automatically even when sleeping (OK, it's something I've done since a kid so 'eventually' maybe a bit long :))

Oh, and don't drink alcohol for several hours before going to bed - you're the medic, you know why :)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’m not a fan of normal socks in bed because they cling too tight. For years and years I’ve used Afghan slipper socks. They’re wool, roomy, and have a thin leather sole that’ll put up with sneaking out of bed for a pee in the woods. The soles aren’t sewn in very well, but the fix is an absolute doddle.

Just invested in my first couple of new pairs in several years of wear and repair of my old favourites. Lots on eBay, but these were best price but limited colours, eBay have more choose from. For the price, definitely try a pair, they’re good house slippers if you don’t like sleeping in them.

http://afghanslippersocks.co.uk/epa...d63174-032a-41b4-ab16-d73e9f8dac62/Categories

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We can discuss bad circulation and cold feet in another thread.
The last sensation to go is pain. I have not felt my left foot toes in years.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Another option would be a nice wool blanket over your bag to trap that extra layer of warm air or a fleece liner.... or both plus socks and a hottie. If you still have cold feet with all that check see if your still alive.:D

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When the tips of your toes go black, they are dead. You have a problem.
A hottie is a tough thing to produce at 10,000' in a blizzard. Just doesn't work out well!!!
My boots and my stove are in the fart-sack with me. I'm in no rush to see another white-out.

My experience shows that thick and really soft, oversize/baggy bed socks beat another blanket.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A hot watter bottle for me - used one for years!
I simple fill my stainless steel drinking water bottle with near boiling water a little while before bed and put it in a spare sock (so as not to burn myself...) and use it to preheat my sleeping bag. The bottle stays in the bed until I get up in the morning and it is often still warm to the touch and is ready to make the first coffee of the day. My socks for the day ahead also spend the night in the sleeping bag with me and my clothing is my pillow - so most of my kit stays warm for the morning:)
I learned the drinking water bottle idea when I became severely chilled - near hypothermic - when I got soaked up in the Beacons one spring. I spent the night brewing up hot-waterbottles in my bivvi and got through what could be the most nearly fatal night of my life

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I recommended really baggy, big, thick socks. P.ost#5. At present, I am using a live cat as a bed time feet warmer.
Sorrel felt-pac boot liners are OK in a tent but they don't last long in the house, the heels go fast.

Reactions: MrEd

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE