coffee tins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I am not sure of the construction of the cans mentioned in this thread, but I was once warned from using seamed tins that had been sealed with a solder type substance.

The seal is completely stable and inert whilst it holds the bake beans, coffee or whatever, but has a relatively low melting point. Atop a camp fire your food can become suffused with flux and perhaps the solder too.

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Willie - you could always get hold of a stainless steel paint kettle. They've got the bail handle already attached and hold about 2 litres. Only a fiver or so. only problem is no lid and you need to burn off the laquer coating if they've got one before you use them.

george

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
stuartyr said:
I find that a large bean or soup tin does just fine!

I agree a big bean soup can with a snare wire handle has doe me fine for ages.
No side effects as yet. :winkmsn:

R-Bowskill

Forager
Sep 16, 2004
Norwich
The biggest danger with using old food tins as billy cans is not the lead but the corrugations on the sides. Make sure you clean them thouroughly as any food hiding there will give the stuff that causes food poisoning a perfect breeding ground.

Lead poisoning is a slow, cumulative problem and you'll absorb far more breathing the air near a road than you will cooking in an old soup tin out in the woods. So like all risks it's relative. :Crazy_071

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE