coffee scoop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I don't see these posted here very often so for the sake of something different in the spoon category, I thought I'd post this coffee scoop. Carved from walnut.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
If there is any left, if not I have some that I came across today. :rolleyes:
Nice scoop Hoodoo.

There should be some left - fingers crossed, if not i might have to climb the tree to get it, must remember to take my ropes with me :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Thanks folks. Here's a shot from the back side. Kinda hard to see from the photo but there are 8 facets along the length of the handle.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
Very nice Hoodoo, I like that a lot.

Did you carve that from green wood or was it dry? I've got a bit of dry walnut lying around but the hardness of the wood has put me off trying to carve anything with it.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Very nice Hoodoo, I like that a lot.

Did you carve that from green wood or was it dry? I've got a bit of dry walnut lying around but the hardness of the wood has put me off trying to carve anything with it.

That's dry walnut. I've never carved walnut green. A great carving wood. Harder just means take your time and keep your knives sharp. Flexcut knives in general are pretty robust for carving dried hard woods.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Interesting Hoodoo, I was given a lump yesterday 18x13x10 inches, been sat in a field for three years without the bark on.
I tried carving a green piece from a different source today, very east to carve green.

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
That's dry walnut. I've never carved walnut green. A great carving wood. Harder just means take your time and keep your knives sharp. Flexcut knives in general are pretty robust for carving dried hard woods.

Cheers mate thanks for that. I'd never even considered this walnut for carving before. I'll give it a go. Been meaning to carve myself a spatula for my eggs :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
really like it. Not being a coffee drinker myself, is there a set measure for a coffee spoon. Think I know someone who might be getting one for Xmas

Not zactly sure. I just went by a commercial scoop I had but mostly I go by taste. Usually, more coffee is more better. :) According to my coffee guru Schwert, though, you need 2 tablespoons of beans per 6 oz of water.

I use two scoops of ground coffee for my 4 cup coffeemaker at home and two heaping scoops of ground coffee for my 5 cup maker at work. Sometimes I add a pinch more... :) 4 scoops coarse ground for my French press. :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Am I right in thinking this is one of the black walnuts rather than Juglans regia our commonest walnut in the UK? I milled, carved and turned a huge black walnut 20 years ago and it was a joy to use though smelly. The Persian, English or Common walnut I have found mostly to be a disappointment in the UK. We find a big tree and imagine gorgeous brown gun stock wood but in fact 90% of it is creamy bland sapwood. Nice design of coffee scoop, like faceted handles.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Am I right in thinking this is one of the black walnuts rather than Juglans regia our commonest walnut in the UK? I milled, carved and turned a huge black walnut 20 years ago and it was a joy to use though smelly. The Persian, English or Common walnut I have found mostly to be a disappointment in the UK. We find a big tree and imagine gorgeous brown gun stock wood but in fact 90% of it is creamy bland sapwood. Nice design of coffee scoop, like faceted handles.

Thanks Robin. Yup, black walnut, not English walnut. Juglans nigra. This is from scrap wood I pick up from a custom woodcraft shop. They throw tons of end cuts and scraps out--lots of cherry and walnut--a lot of which fills worker trailers and is hauled away for home heating during the winter. The rest of the year, there are dumpsters full of scrap wood. The stuff they throw out is never really fancy. They save all the good stuff. :) But I can find plenty of wood for spoons and even walking sticks. Far more than I will ever need or use. Unfortunately they do not throw away bowl-sized pieces. LOL!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE