coastal tour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
i was just wondering how many of you guys get the chance to visit the coast i live within 5mins of the beach and have never realy taken any notice of it i guess i just took it as an every day occurance.
:D :D :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I try to get to the coast as often as I can. I have some great coast to the north of Aberdeenshire. However, the very best of the coast in Scotland is on the west coast. I hope to spend next weekend there in a bothy right down on the shore. LOts of nice birch woodland, plenty of drift and dead wood for fires and superb views out to the islands of the west. :D

ady05

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
kings lynn, norfolk
any tips on what to look out for fred as a newbie i know there is a lot of cockles,winkles and muscles localy but is there anything to go with them i should look out for ? any tips would be greatfull :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
ady05 said:
any tips on what to look out for fred as a newbie i know there is a lot of cockles,winkles and muscles localy but is there anything to go with them i should look out for ? any tips would be greatfull :D
Thats quite a big question and essentially it depends where you live in the country and what kind of coast you have. In my part of the world they tend to be either sandy/mud shores or rocky/cliff shores. On the sandy/mud ones look out for wading birds, redshank, oystercatcher,dunlin,shelduck and curlew. There will be razorshells and cockles in the sand and whelks on the rocks. Very little seaweed or rockpools. On the rocky shores look out for puffin,guilliemots,fulmars, herring gulls. One the rocks whelks, mussels, limpets, and a whole variety of seaweeds. Rockpools are a world of their own, a microcosm of all the rest. Just offshore look out for terns of various species, gannets, eider duck, various diving ducks. and even a chance of a dolphin or whale or two. At the back of the shore will be a whole books worth of plants. I suggest you get a few of the Collins Little Gems series of books. They are very reasonably priced (about £5 each) and there is one on the Seashore, there is even one on sharks. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
This summer I plan to walk the whole of the Pembrokeshire Coastal path - 181miles.

I have been thinking about doing this for years but now I have decided to stop thinking about it and just get on with doing it.
I visit the coast on a regular basis and it is truly a beautiful place.
I can't wait to get started!!:)

geo_chris

Jan 31, 2007
Castleford, W Yorkshire
Having grew up in Morecambe Bay as a child I fished, cockled, treaded for flatties, fished, gathered mussles, played/swam in the sea and scavenged lost fishing tackle when the tide went out -- it was amazing the amount of fishing tackle I would get each day, never bought any tackle except fishing line.

I now live in the middle of the country, though I see the sea Monday to Friday as I work on the East Coast driving a computer. I take every chance I get to be by the sea, luckily I still have relatives in Morecambe Bay so when visiting them I take the oppurtunity to visit the sea -- the chance to sit and watch the storms or walk on the beach, kayak on water, etc. all the time marvelling at the unforgiving forces of nature.

My children have also picked up the love of the coast, every holiday we have is spent camping around the country on the coast, we take fishing gear, kayaks/canoes and a sailing dinghy -- it is quite a sight seeing us arrive, an open canoe and a kayak on top of the car and towing a 10ft commercial trailer with the sailing dinghy on top of it!

As Fred says, availability depends on the type of coast line you are on. That is why we only holiday on the UK coasts because they are so diverse, each area offers wonders that other areas don't. Go with open eyes and you will be surprised.

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
Well i go almost everyday, favorite place is the back cliffs on portland bill, also weymouth and over by the durdle door.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I have a minimum drive of 150 miles to get to the coast and I've got a boat, and a sailing canoe.
Favourite places are Poole harbour over by Arne and Port Madoc. I have taken a look at Milford Haven and the Broads and intend to take the boat there as well. I prefer to use motorways because if I am towing I prefer to travel at night but do use good A roads like the A14.

The Collins Seashore book, as mentioned, is very good and a Food for Free book would be helpful. I got mine from charity shops very cheaply.
I had a couple of days course with fishing, seaweeds and other edible plants at Lyme Regis with Nomad Bushcraft that was excellent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE