Coarse hooks from natural materials.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Hello all
I don’t know if this has been covered before.
Has anybody made hooks for coarse fishing from natural materials? If so can you spread a bit of light on the subject? Also are there any laws concerning this?
Cheers
Den

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Jamie made a lovely Nootka fishing hook while on a course earlier this year. I'm sure we can get him to post a pic... he should be proud of it....

:)
Ed

J

Jamie

Hi all

Sorry, this thread had passed me by - I wasnt ignoring it honest!!!!!!

Well, if you really want to see the nootka, here it is:

nootka1.jpg

nootka2.jpg

They are relatively simple hooks to make, just quite fiddly.

J

Jamie

thank you for your kind words! :oops:

as to how long it took, with prep etc it probably took about 2 or 3 hours as I fluffed the first carving and had to start again

i havent used it yet....just waiting for an invite from Roving Rich to come and help paddle his homemade canoe!

i will try to think of a way to put it down in words, but may struggle.....how about a nootka show at the meetup????

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Thank all for your replies

Nice hook Jamie

I’ve made a few hooks of that design and found it quite hard getting the size down to take coarse (smaller ones) fish. I replaced the root for nettle fibre and used a sloe thorn for the point sealed with a bit of pine pitch. I got them down to the size of a finger nail. I’ll sort a camera soon so I can post them.

The problem is as Jamie mentioned, they are fiddly and trying to make one small enough to target the smaller fish is a hard job. Was this done once upon a time? Or were they just netted?

Any other info you have on using natural materials would be appreciated

No I have not used the coarse hooks yet. I made some bigger ones last year for using on the coast which worked ok. (Mackerel around a wreck)

Cheers
Den

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Was this done once upon a time? Or were they just netted?
I would guess it would depend on their situation. Remember using a rod, hook and line (or hand-line) is a very inefficiant way to fish.... if it was your main source of food for your family you would probably not eat very well compared to a family using a net.... many traditional peoples used hooks and lines to fish to 'supplement' their already existing food supply gained from domesticated animals and agriculture....

The most lovely examples of neolithic fishing hooks I've seen (in the british museum) have been made out of bone and tooth ivory.... I have a few cattle teeth dotted around... I may just give it a go :)

:)
Ed

den

Nomad
Jun 13, 2004
Bristol
Go on Ed give it a go. :icon_smil It would be great to hear how you got on.

I’ve thought about making a hook from a tooth (canine) a few times but have been put off by its hardness and size. (Small)

Do you know any techniques for working tooth ivory?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE