Clyde Valley

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just home, been for a walk in beautiful woodlands. Cold, crisp, sunny....little burns and the river flowing merrily by, and *lots* of trees :D

This message started out on the FM forum as I didn't want to swamp the site until all of the details have been thrashed out. The couple of posts at the end are probably the most relevant ones.
The woods are open to the public but not much used, and away from the road they are really quiet. I've visited them with GrahamS and PatrickM and both agree they are very suitable for a centralised meet up.
I visited again today and Andrew took photos (I'll post them when they're downloaded) but after four visits now I still have the same impression; beautiful, very handy and quiet.
Problems with parking more than half a dozen cars can be overcome if we have a little patience until I can get all of the interested bodies on side and the key to the forestry road. In the meantime, if you would like to visit and have a wander and post your impressions I'd like to read your opinions too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graham_S, Mike Brady & Toddy visited woodlands today just above Garrion Bridge. There is a very good chance that the woods will be available for bushcrafting weekends at least once per season throughout the year. There is no financial cost involved but in return for the use of the woodlands, mixed native timbers, some plantation conifers, pond, burns and river frontage, it is envisaged that members may contribute a little effort to help fell, copice and otherwise thin trees as part of the management of the woodlands. (Great hardship, I'm afraid we'll just need to use the stuff for fires, shelters, carvings, charcoal, etc., ;) )
Seriously folks, I'm chuffed to bits. The two woodlands are beautiful playgrounds for us Central to road and rail links but off road enough to be quiet and with wonderful natural resources that we can use. Everything from oak and ash to elm and plum, with the usual Clyde valley flora and fauna too and masses of fungi out today.
The pond has reed mace and could do with some clearing out and the willow, hazel and oak could do with some coppicing, but the variety of landscape within the woodlands is wonderful, Graham reckoned Basha's or tarps and hammocks no problems, me I saw dry footing for tents and easy river access.

If any of the local (ish) members would like to come and have a recce too, would they pm either myself or Graham_S ? We're not trying to exclude anyone, just hoping not to flood the area with bodies all at once

Not sure about acerage, maybe about 20? might be nearer 30

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Graham_S
as toddy said, it's a great bit of woodland. there is plenty of ash, elm, silver birch, etc available. also some decent looking willow and holly. lots of fire drill potential there.
there is plenty of area suitable for hammock use, lots of wood suitable for making debris shelters.
we have easy access to the river for canoeing or fishing (with a permit only though) and decent road links.
if the weather is ok i'll probably head down there in the morning for another wander

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay....
Have a look at this site

http://www.clydevalleywoods.org.uk/clydevalleywoodlands.htm

The woods we're interested in aren't marked as such on the map, they lie between Garrion Gill and Jock's Gill where the Garrion water meets the Clyde.

I have verbal agreement with the Countryside Ranger responsible that we can have a recce meet to have a look and see what we think of the area and whether we would be prepared to work with them to help bring the woods into better management. Things like, "Okay prune the oak but don't fell it but yes we can take down the conifers that are starving it of light and use the material as we choose".
It is clearly acknowledged that this will be a long term thing, no one expects things done overnight

The site is ten minutes from the M74 and about 20 mins from Lanark Railway station. There's a new railway line due to come into commission shortly that will run even closer as it passes through Chatelherault.

So..... who's up for a Saturday or Sunday visit? The recommendation is to keep it to a, "Bring a rucsac, not the kitchen sink!", type meet.

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
It's nice down that stretch :) . Scotty and I were there a couple of months ago in the canoes.
Good luck, hope all goes well getting the go-ahead.

Garrion.jpg

Josh

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I believe this is the correct link:

Sounds like a great plan all round - I'm sure we can put up with the "inconvenience" of being asked to help manage the woods. Oh, the hardship... I might even have to pick up some new skills along the way - deary me. ;)

I'd love to come down for a recce, but I'm not sure if I can make it this weekend. I might have a word with a car-owning and likeminded friend, see what we can do...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
MagiKelly said:
If we are going to have a look the name of the road we park on or a grid referance might be handy ;)

Plus your link has not copied properly into the new post.

Thanks John,......there's a reason I don't do this often.....computer illiteracy :rolleyes:

Link is:

and the roadside parking is on the Brownlee Road at Cardies Bridge.
Cross the Clyde at Garrion Bridge (it's on theTourist route) and follow the left hand road up Horseley Brae, take the first turn to the right to Law, this is Brownlee Road. Parking for the Clyde Walkway is on either side of the road over the bridge over the Garrion burn. It's *not a good road* to cross, please take care :(
There is one parking space further up the road beside the entrance to the forestry track. To get to it continue up the road to Law and turn in the wide roadway to Carluke on the right and come back down and park in on the left beside the double gate. If you're up for a walk, it is possible to park at Dalserf and come back or to go through the stone pillars a little further on and park beside the water works. There's a bridge across the Clyde here but the connecting road to the woods is marked Private :rolleyes:
This access needs further investigation.......

Cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Grooveski said:
It's nice down that stretch :) . Scotty and I were there a couple of months ago in the canoes.
Good luck, hope all goes well getting the go-ahead.

Josh

Thanks for posting the map link.
I'm fond of that bit of the river for canoeing too, the bit higher up is *fun* though, I like the white stuff :D
Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE