Close Encounter with Wolves!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Occasionally, I feel like a very lucky human being.

bcfrm_Hrunning.jpg

For many years I have wanted to learn how to track wolves. An episode from Ray Mears’ television series, Survival, increased my desire to learn more about them. I was captivated by the footage of wolf behaviors.

But I live in a state where wolves were extirpated in the 1800's. Traveling to see them is costly, with no guarantees of seeing anything.

But what if the wolves came to me? This was the philosophy behind a class I took many years ago to learn to track mountain lions. By observing the motion of captive animals, you gain insight it would otherwise take many years to accumulate. Recently I got the chance to do the same thing with two captive wolves!

Here is a link to the first section of a write-up I put online that describes the class. This first part talks about why I wanted to be in the class, has information about the Gray Wolf, and talks about the logistics we used to observe the animals. It also has a visual ID chart and wolf track ID tip sheet for anyone who wants them.

Link: Wolves Teach a Master Class (Part 1)

I am preparing a second section that has many more pictures and addresses what it was like being so close to the wolves. I will try to show tracks and gaits and share what I learned about making plaster casts.

I am still very excited about seeing the animals. So it is hard for me to judge if this will be "interesting" to others. But I thought forum members might appreciate it.

Has anyone had a chance to observe wolves? I would be very interested to hear about it.

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Not had eyes on any wild wolves, but we did hear them while out in Northern Greece.

Kinda mixed feelings of both excitement and a little fear, they were miles away though.

Woodworrel

We encounter them regularly on the tree line where they ain't hunted anymore. These are the big white wolves. The're often quite tame and sometimes come into camp to investigate us. They aren't too wary of man either.

They are no longer hunted for their furs and the old people tell us they were never eaten anyway.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
it reminds me something I have seen on TV news recently:

591873_zps4f35a2a5.jpg

Wolfes have first offspings in CZ after hundred years, good think to hear! They were captured on trail cam in one of nature reserves, surprisingly quite small area

Last edited:

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
A few years ago I had an encounter with a magnificent lobo. It was 6am on the full moon in December, just before solstice. We just talked a while, then I had to leave for work.
The rest of this story is between the wolf and I, it did me good, my sister later told me he was there for a specific reason....he was.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've had the pleasure to camp near some captive European Wolves. Laying in your tent in the woods listening to the wolves howling in the night is an amazing feeling.

Julia

cbr6fs and Quixoticgeek, you were lucky to hear the wolves! Did it sound like in the movies? :)

By coincidence, the local coyotes serenaded us in the early morning as we walked to the special area we had set up for the wolves. They sound much more impressive at night when you are wide-eyed and alone in your tent. :)

- Woodsorrel

Woodworrel

We encounter them regularly on the tree line where they ain't hunted anymore. These are the big white wolves. The're often quite tame and sometimes come into camp to investigate us. They aren't too wary of man either.

They are no longer hunted for their furs and the old people tell us they were never eaten anyway.

Wow, it is a little concerning that the wolves are not wary of you. In the US, wolves usually retreat when humans are near. Do you have any pictures of a white wolf you could post?

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
cbr6fs and Quixoticgeek, you were lucky to hear the wolves! Did it sound like in the movies? :)

No.

The classic wolf howl of screen and tv is the north american wolf. The European wolf sounds different.

Interestingly, the way they work is one pack will howl out something, then the neighbouring pack acknowledges this by howling back what the original pack howled, but modified slightly.

The thing is, here in Kent, there aren't that many wolf packs about, so the wolves get confused, and respond not just to the neighbouring wolf packs, but to the ambulance siren pack... the badly tuned motorcycle pack... and the geek whistling the great escape out of tune while wandering through the woods pack...

It's an amazing experience.

Julia

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
There used to be a captive pack of wolves in Cardigan Wildlife park and I camped within earshot quite often. Their howls were magnificent.
Unfortunately they broke out and were hunted down, the last being shot as they were making their way "home" cold and hungry as they had no idea of how to hunt.
There are rumours that not all were killed and there are still wolves wandering the area... not all sheep worrying being done by pet pouches!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No idea on the differences of wolf howls, but to me it sounded like i expected wolves to howl.
Only difference is that what i expected was a arrrrhuuuuuuuuu, but there was no arrrrrr.

The howl started quiet then just got louder, like a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Used to have a dog that howled and the wolves sounded similar, but a lot louder.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Wow, it is a little concerning that the wolves are not wary of you. In the US, wolves usually retreat when humans are near. Do you have any pictures of a white wolf you could post?

- Woodsorrel

Ironically, one of the main reasons dogs were among the first (if not the first) animals domesticated, was because the packs followed humans eating the scraps left.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've not yet seen a wolf in the wild. Only in the zoos and my Wolf/Malamute cross. Those in the zoos were Southern red Wolves rather than the Northern Grey Wolf. The pet was A malamute/Grey Wolf cross. She was one of the best dogs I've ever had but I'll never get another as long as I live in this climate. She did just fine when young (she blew coat twice a year) but suffered terribly when she got too old to handle the heat. By then, I never took her outside except at night.

- Woodsorrel

hello

The wolves normally go away if encountered in the bush or in the open, but if we're in a canoe they'll often not bother and look at us. Wolves we do not consider a threat. I've never heard of anyone being threatened by them up here..

My canoeing partner took a good camera shot of a white wolf from the front of our canoe when we were on a river on the edge of the tree line. The wolf went for a moulting Canada Goose. The goose managed to get away over the bank where we could not see what was happening. Thats not the sort of thing we see too much.

I'll try and get the picture posted before I go back home next week.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Fairly close encounter with one here. Whilst playing with my dog it was particularly adept at tripping it up.
As far as I remember its about 7/8ths wolf.

Tascza_zps45d86326.jpg

Quixoticgeek and cbr6fs, it is very cool that you were able to hear wolf howls. I am very jealous. :)

Joe tahkahikew: Ah, I understand now, you were in canoes. It would definitely be wonderful if you can find that picture of a white wolf.

I have really enjoyed reading about everyone's wolf experiences. Thanks for posting wolf/dog stuff santaman2000 and demographic.

- Woodsorrel

Haggis

Nomad
We see wolves here in our yard on occasion, and sometimes back in the bush. They are a secretive creature, but I often follow their tracks in the snow in winter to see how they hunt, or what they have killed. Nothing much so hair raising as to feel eyes watching me in the bush, then to look up to see a wolf.

I have really enjoyed reading about peoples' observations of wolves in the wild.

I went ahead and posted a link to the second part of the write-up in a new thread:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126476&p=1578074#post1578074

The second portion of the write-up talks about what it was like meeting the wolves. It also has a discussion of different gaits with pictures and video.

- Woodsorrel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE