cloaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'm toying with the idea of a cloak for the rain.
cloaks have been used for hundreds of years as the premier method of weatherproofing so why have they fallen out of fashion?

so i'm looking at getting some waterproof fabric and knocking one up.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The idea pops up every now and again. I think the resident freelance viking may have some experience with this. I'll get around to one at some point when I find some cheapo wool blankets.

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Good idea, my wife has a cloak she made herself and says it is the warmest “coat type thing” she has ever had. I think it is basically a large circle with a smaller circle for the hood. All the best
Chris

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I was thinking this just the other night after watching Robin Chav!! If it was lined with one of those thin tartan blankets found in old peoples' cars, it would be both warm and waterproof and could be used to sleep in aswell. I wore a cloak this summer for a medieval pi$$ up, and felt very comfortable and pretty damned cool in it!! I almost fell asleep by the fire wrapped in my cloak sat on a hay bale, it was fantastic.

Please put up some pics if you do make one, I'd love to see it. The only problem I foresee is how do you wear a bergen/backpack? Or does the cloak sit over the top of it like a poncho?

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
spamel said:
I was thinking this just the other night after watching Robin Chav!! If it was lined with one of those thin tartan blankets found in old peoples' cars, it would be both warm and waterproof and could be used to sleep in aswell. I wore a cloak this summer for a medieval pi$$ up, and felt very comfortable and pretty damned cool in it!! I almost fell asleep by the fire wrapped in my cloak sat on a hay bale, it was fantastic.

Please put up some pics if you do make one, I'd love to see it. The only problem I foresee is how do you wear a bergen/backpack? Or does the cloak sit over the top of it like a poncho?

i think the cloak gos over every thing.
chris

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Shall we bring ours to the meet up for you to try?
The only real problem with them is that they can get in the way of your hands or chug at your throat and if it's windy you look like a flag :rolleyes:
Round a campfire though, they're great things, and you can just roll up in it to sleep too.
Probably why the Scots wore a fealeadh mhor, it becomes a cloak at need, but you can belt it down if you want a rammy ;)
The basic blanket shaped type need pins or brooches to fasten them......I can see the conversation now, " Woodlore or damascus?" :D "Carbon or Stainless"....kit list takes on a whole new meaning :lmao:

Cheers,
M

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I wore my plaid on my scotland trip.

its just a big square of woollen cloth doubled over and pinned at the shoulder with a brooch.

Its the dogs bits.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Not being a smartass, but if you're looking for a cloak for the rain, wouldn't some of those military ponchos do just about the same job? Or, even the 3/4 length rain coats?

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
during W.W. 1 and W.W. 2 the british army issued it's soldiers with a groundsheet/rainCAPE.....some models were rubberized and had buttons to the front and metal grommets along the side to help make a rough shelter...why re -invent the wheel ,try an older surplus store and see if they can help....also see if you can find a east german army rain cape its rubberized and lined....vince g. 11b inf..

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Large numbers of Swiss surplus rain cloaks are on the market, selling for under $10 US over here. They are made of what seems to be a rubberized fabric and have slits (closed by snaps) for the hands.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The rubberised ones keep you cold and sweaty though. Wool gets damp but stays warm and it breathes. Unless it's really, really chucking it down, the woollen ones are much more comfortable. It's our dreich climate again :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Always wanted (and still do) a hevy wool travelling cloak, they just look soo cool !!

Also warm and waterproof to some degree as well :)

But at $408, i think i'll leave it :eek:

traveler1-detail.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you're up for sewing it yourself you'll get the fabric for under £40.

Where did you get the image from? I quite fancy a pattern from that one.

Cheers,
Toddy

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Toddy,

If you work out a pattern for this could I have a copy please? BB reckons she could sew that for me no danger and it looks just the job for lounging round the fire!

Red

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
I made one a while back from a pattern Toddy kindly explained to me. It's grand, really nice and warm, and yes, you do look quite cool. I might make another soon (after I've finished the ones for my mates :D ) that's thicker for winter.
I've some photos but I'm on the wrong PC at the mo, so if anyone's interested give me a PM and I'll sort something out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE