Clingons - tarp accessories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
The other weekend up at Loch Chon, Ol Smokey had a couple of very useful bits'n'pieces to help secure his tarp, temporary eyelets. So, I went looking for them and think I've found the website...

http://www.clingons.co.uk/

... ordered some stuff from them at the weekend there. Just a note, they phoned me up this morning, I'd ordered the mini-clips and some bungees. The very helpful guy on the end of the phone explained that the bungees fit the larger clips better and changed my order for me.

Mang

Settler
They look good. I want to get a tarp in the future and it will be interseting to see how strong they are since they could feasably make a plastic groundsheet into a useable tarp couldn't they? (I'm thinking that a few along the apex with the bungees would work).

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
They certainly held up in moderate wind, the design is that the more you pull the tighter they grip.

Not sure how well they'd work on the apex, I'm certain they're fine at the edges but along the ridge line? I don't know, the distribution of forces might work against the design.

Gailainne

Life Member
I was looking for ways of adding temporary clips to my tarps as well, I saw those, but I thought they were limited as they look like they can only work on an edge, (could be wrong), and they would'nt be able to join 2 tarps together, (could be wrong about that too :rolleyes: ), anyway I found this site via hammockforums, http://shelter-systems.com/gripclips/camping.html, only problem, you dont get them here, only the US, but they do ship. These will attach to any part of a tarp, however reading the hammock site it looks like with silnylon and slippery mat'l they have a tendency to move, so they used a piece of a kids ballon, for extra grip.

Stephen

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
look on ebay. they trade under various names but its cheaper on the bay. just look for tarp clips

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I was spraying a replacement headlight washer jet when it started raining so I took and IPK and 6 mini clingons and I had a temporary 'lean-to' rigged in mins. I would have thought that you could have put in ridge line in by folding in half and clip on the doubled edge. I do like the looks of those grip clips though.

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
No need to waste your money on these. All I do is find a small pebble, push it into the fabric, and tie a guy line around the neck. Voila instant tarp ‘klingon’
Why make things complicated?:dunno:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I fixed a tent in that same way once, using fishing line from my kit. It was an old A frame tent use on a camping site in Newquay. It was my first time in atent on a camp site, and I'm afraid to say it was my last. People may say The Moot is like a camp site because it has toilets and showers.

I say it isn't! :nana:

:D

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
No need to waste your money on these. All I do is find a small pebble, push it into the fabric, and tie a guy line around the neck. Voila instant tarp ‘klingon’
Why make things complicated?:dunno:

I know all about the pebble trick but you don't always have access to them, I didn't today and they are very quick to use. I would have got very wet trying to find something sutable unless I raided next doors alpine garden ;)

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I did once cut the spare button for my trousers off and used it like this on a tarp. I wouldn’t now though, ‘cus my middle aged spread needs the backup button. I wouldn’t want to scare any female moose now would I ?:yelrotflm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE