Cleavers / Sticky Willies - Galium Aparine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Other than that use, yes I use them.

I use the tops and chop them up (like you would with parsley) and add them to soups and stews.

If you chop them up and dry them you can store them like bay leaves or dried herbs and use as needed, but to be honest, there's never a shortage until Winter.

Hope this helps,

Liam

Thanks, I take it you can pick the leaves off and eat them as they are? But I guess you need to chew it right down so it doesn't catch as it goes down.

What other things can you do with then?

I have hedgerow medicine and its a great book but I was looking to expand on that. Like how do you prepare the coffee or tea.

Geoff Dann

Native
Sep 15, 2010
Sussex
www.geoffdann.co.uk
Thanks, I take it you can pick the leaves off and eat them as they are? But I guess you need to chew it right down so it doesn't catch as it goes down.

Actually, once you get over the thought of it "catching as it goes down" you'll find out it doesn't. Although it is always best to chew your food before swallowing...

What other things can you do with then?

Some people make juice from it.

I have hedgerow medicine and its a great book but I was looking to expand on that.

Then you'll need the Forager Handbook by Miles Irving.

Last edited:

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
The Elizabethans used it as a slimming aid, they would make it into a pulp, mix with hot water and drink. It metabolises fat stored in the body, so one to avoid in a survival situation, where you need to hold on to those reserves.

Ross

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
I tried some raw over the weekend and found it to be like eating a cats tongue/velcro and decided it wasn't for me. I'm keen to try the coffee from it sometime though, perhaps this coming weekend. As it grows in abundance with nettles I might hazard a try at some nettle and sticky willy soup.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
As it grows in abundance with nettles I might hazard a try at some nettle and sticky willy soup.

Don't bet on that being particually nice! lol.

They are best eaten when still young in April/May time. They will be starting to toughen up now. Its not a spring green I find very interesting, but at a push it fills a hole. :)

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
No! They taste like yuck. But the juice is a great spring tonic/liver cleanse, and They're one our faves crushed and juiced as a poultice for bites, stings, cuts and grazes... the juice stains all the quicks round your fingernails so you look like a grubby beggar for a week though!

mark oriel

Bushcraft company
I crushed them down pestle and mortar added a little water then put it in the fridge. Then every morning the ideea was to take a spoonfull every day, it tastes like silage smells (so it must be good for you). We took it for a week and done our bit for hedgerow medicine. The really interesting thing that I witnessed a while ago was the springer spaniel was due for worming and she was eating goose grass all the time, since worming she has stopped eating the goose grass, weird ye!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE