Cleaning pots after using on wood burning stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
After brewing up on my Honey Stove or Swiss Army Volcano Stove, my pot always becomes sticky - is there an easy way of cleaning them or is it just a case of careful attention with a brillo pad? On the Honey Stove, I am using a Snow Peak titanium solo cook set and on the volcano stove, it is just the ali cup that comes with it.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Some people rub a thin layer of washing up liquid on the outside which prevents the blackening and stickyness. I just give them a wash when I get home.

DSC07113.jpg

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I get mine into the stream and use the soil, leafs and other stuff around to clean it. Soil (grit), or charcole, ash from fire etc.. really help to clean it when your out and about.

Once you get home just use a brillo pad or similar to get them shiney (if you like that sort of thing).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Birch is lovely to light but oh it leaves tarry pots :sigh:
I just take some waxed paper along to wrap around the pots while I'm away and scour them when I get home usually.
If I really need to clean the gunk off while I'm away, a wee clod of earth works remarkably well. Biodegradeable too :D

cheers,
Toddy

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
again water soil or grit, dirt, leaves, moss, what ever is to hand really, i dont bother to get it all of to a shine just so the kit stays clean (ish).........

with my hobo the pot is an old 1 litre dog food tin, this sits inside the stove so dont even bother with that pot/tin, when its really, really bad i chuck it in the recycle big and get a clean one i have set aside, costs nothing as its a by product from the dog food so win win all round.......

chris................................

stekker

Forager
Aug 21, 2009
holland
I leave the blackening on, i just clean it when i come home with some water and liquid soap.
What i can't remove,stays on!

Theo

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Hi,

Something I always take with me in my Bergen is a pack of fragrance free Baby Wipes, from my army days I learnt it is great from removing camo cream from your face, good for cleaning sweaty areas of the body and works a treat for removing the black sticky mess from underneath a mess tin or mug after you have finished cooking. The only down side is you need to store the used wipes in your bergen and carry it out with you.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Hi,

Something I always take with me in my Bergen is a pack of fragrance free Baby Wipes, from my army days I learnt it is great from removing camo cream from your face, good for cleaning sweaty areas of the body and works a treat for removing the black sticky mess from underneath a mess tin or mug after you have finished cooking. The only down side is you need to store the used wipes in your bergen and carry it out with you.

Actually if you get the cotton and non fragranced type you can let them dry out then use them as tinder on your stove.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi,

On offer at Tesco, 50p a pack, work great for cleaning you and your plates etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE