Cleaning oilstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hi,

I bought a cheap oilstone because I have a lot of rough work to do with it but it's getting really clogged up with the metal powder that comes off the blade and isn't as abrasive as before.

How should I go about cleaning it as I thought you shouldn't apply water to an oilstone? Also, is there anything I can do to help prevent the build up?

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
soak it in petrol and give it a rub down with a stiff brush.

sorry if this is sucking eggs but....you are using oil on the stone when you use it aren't you?

cheers

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
lol not really mate, that sounds like exactly the same kind of oil that i use! you could try thinning the oil down a little though, white spirit does the job. it could also be the case that you've just taken off the initial roughness of the stone, cheap stones tend to smooth down a little bit when you first start using them (maybe expensive ones do too, i wouldn't know), have you thought of trying a file instead of a stone for "heavier" work?

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
lol not really mate, that sounds like exactly the same kind of oil that i use! you could try thinning the oil down a little though, white spirit does the job. it could also be the case that you've just taken off the initial roughness of the stone, cheap stones tend to smooth down a little bit when you first start using them (maybe expensive ones do too, i wouldn't know), have you thought of trying a file instead of a stone for "heavier" work?

I had thought about using a file but quickly dismissed it, it's not quite that 'heavy' and I don't want to risk damaging the temper of the blade.

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
you can flatten stones on a paving slab - I would think that would 'reface' your stone and bring it back to life

Just rub in circular motions on the flattest slab you can find ;)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Paraffin is also good for cleaning clogged oilstones.As for what oil to use try that household oil in the white cans with red writing(?)4in1 or something like that...(sorry, cant remember its proper name).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE