Cleaning leather before dying it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’m making my very first knife sheath, it’s a part of gift I am making for my B-I-L, for Christmas. Therefore, I want to get it right.
How do I clean the leather before dying it, I’ve handled the leather quite a lot, and I am worried that my fingerprints/natural oils will affect the leather and prevent the light brown dye from coating evenly. What can I use to clean the leather? Something that is not too expensive or chemically.

In addition, whilst I am at it, finishing the 'raw edges' of the leather, is that done before or after the dying/treating and is there a cheaper alternative to Gum Trag

leon-1

I’m making my very first knife sheath, it’s a part of gift I am making for my B-I-L, for Christmas. Therefore, I want to get it right.
How do I clean the leather before dying it, I’ve handled the leather quite a lot, and I am worried that my fingerprints/natural oils will affect the leather and prevent the light brown dye from coating evenly. What can I use to clean the leather? Something that is not too expensive or chemically.

In addition, whilst I am at it, finishing the 'raw edges' of the leather, is that done before or after the dying/treating and is there a cheaper alternative to Gum Trag

Try sponging down with a heavily diluted solution of fairy liquid to clean the leather, fresh veg tan should need very little cleaning if any at all.

Dye the sheath before burnishing the edge.

It is possible to burnish the edges of a sheath by licking it and then using a bone folder (or any hard smooth object) to rub against the leather. If you don't fancy looking quite so strange as to be sat there licking leather then you can use lightly sugared water instead.

Hope this will be of help,

Leon:)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Try sponging down with a heavily diluted solution of fairy liquid to clean the leather, fresh veg tan should need very little cleaning if any at all.

Dye the sheath before burnishing the edge.

It is possible to burnish the edges of a sheath by licking it and then using a bone folder (or any hard smooth object) to rub against the leather. If you don't fancy looking quite so strange as to be sat there licking leather then you can use lightly sugared water instead.

Hope this will be of help,

Leon:)
I've plenty of experence with washing up liquid, (knackered dishwasher) so thanks for that, licking leather...hmmmm I'm sure that is going to taste funny and look wierd so sugar water it is. Would a bone knife handle work?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE