Cleaning a soft top car roof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

Sorry this is not bushcraft related at all, but I'm after some advice on cleaning my car roof.

I have a 2002 astra convertible, I think it's a mohair roof but could be wrong.

It's been sat in my garden for at least 2 years and the roof is a right state, it's covered in bird droppings and also very green in colour, it should be black lol.

I have goggled it to death and looked on various forums and I keep coming up with the same thing, that the mould/algae needs to be killed off before the roof can be cleaned properly, and I figure some of you guys with canvas tents and tarps may have had similar problems.

So what would you guys use to clean off the algae and mould? There is lots of different cleaners and renovators available which I will use after but not till iv killed off the green.

Thanks in advance
Steve

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
trigene, its a disinfectant for cleaning kennels, I've found it very effective at removing algae, off wood(decking )slabs etc.

Rob

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Make sure it's mohair as vinyl hood will need different treatment, if your sure it's mohair then i've used these products and highly rate them.

For deep cleaning
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/renovo-mohair-hood-reviver-p-169.html

For protection after
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/renovo-ultra-proofer-mohair-hoods-p-166.html

Once you've got the hood cleaned the reviver is a bit strong for regular cleaning so i prefer to use this
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/renovo-mohair-hood-cleaner-p-170.html

I've used on hoods from MX5's through to a 360 Ferrari and really rate it.

Whetstone

Mar 8, 2011
Edinburgh
I've recently done the exact same thing with an 05 astra convertible that had sat for 18months in favor of the banged up landy. Used to be really into the detailing game so hopefully this helps!

Give it a good wash first with some soapy water and a brush or sponge when you do the body (fairy liquid is a good degreaser but you dont need a lot) to get the majority of the gunk and poop off, bare in mind all the soap has to be hosed!

Next you want to wait til it's dry and give it a good hover and brush at the same time to loosen the caked on stuff and hairs etc etc.

Next step is vital, if you get the right soft top cleaner it will contain antifungal agents, just follow the instructions, usually wet then spray then rub then rinse. Most are great but the turtle wax stuff is really poor. Auto glym is excellent, everywhere and comes all together. Contains about two applications for an astra. You might have to repeat the first two steps until your happy it's all gone, it will probably be slightly greyer than black by now anyway but this method should cause less discolouration.

Finally you put on the protective stuff, it's similar to that spray you got for trainers in the 90's, careful on the windows and paint cos it's a pita to get off once its on, tape them off or hold a towel next to it. Cross your fingers it doesn't rain for 12 hours or park it somewhere dry and your ready to roll!

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Thanks for the replys chaps, cbr, iv not seen any of those products so cheers for that, would need to look for the blue version though, whetstone, I'm a massive fan of autoglym, use to use there products all the time in the motor care, my only.issue with there hood cleaner is it doesn't actually say on there that it will kill off the algae or mould, after everything.Iv read the same thing keeps coming up and that's you must kill off the spores or other wise it's a pointless exercise. On another note, I read yesterday that my roof is actually canvas, im gonna do bit more research cause if it is that would.open up some more cleaners based on canvas tents I'm.guessing!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE