City living challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rumi

Forager
Would you be noticed? Absolutely, Allotmenteers notice if even one onion is gone. Keepers of fowl will also notice. You may recall th recent case of a criminal who went to ground and the police widely circulated it that he had "field skills". His skills brought him to a high level of hunger which led him to break into houses for food and raid allotments. His camps were uncamouflaged and his kit was all found at one point His raiding of allotments led to his eventual capture death.

Compare most homeless people to bushcrafters: Bushcrafters are highly skilled, with a plan, extensive knowledge and generally of sound mind. Many but not all homeless people may be driven by a tragic history, substance abuse, mental illness, alcoholism, or all or any combination of these, be under or unskilled, lacking in knowledge and certainly do not have a plan or they wouldn't be homeless.

So many people seem so intent on talking about this proposition of homelessness and foraging, why not try it out in the middle of Liverpool or Manchester or Oxford.. Remember to get vaccinated against Hep A &B and TB, be adequately competent at self defence and prepared to be harassed by the police and other services - good luck.

4D_scumpunx

Nov 17, 2010
macclesfield
i myself would squat/make a permenant shelter in a woods, go skipping at night for food in supermarket bins. cause we all know how wasteful and ignorant they can be!!
To earn abit of cash you could go skipping in charity shop bins/shop bins which throw away such awful amounts of amazing stuff that you wouldnt beleive it.
make things out of natural materials and sell on at carboots along with things found in skips.

I myself have not squatted but i will allways support those who do as there are so many empty buildings left to rot, council houses unatended to keep the rent price up.
but i do go skipping as much as i can and allways have an eye open for anything being thrown out that may be good use to myself of somebody else.
I have found game consols, dvds, sofas, full carpets, weighing scales, leather draws, tvs, and enough food to feed atleast half a dozen familys.
just a list of things around my living room mainly that i listed of what ive got out of skips and bins...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I find a lot of good stuff too.

But always try to ask first; its only polite, and that way, next time they throw something out they may well remember you

Rumi

Forager
Here is a scenario for you..

Imagine you are passing through a city and you find yourself in the midst of a demonstration (you are here by accident not design). What follows is a condensed version of the factual account of being "kettled" at the student demo in London.

The conditions are sub zero, it is getting dark (430pm), the atmosphere is tense, you have seen several people with blood pouring from apparent head wounds looking somewhat dazed and possibly concussed. You see an under-dressed pregnant woman who is cold and distressed and children who are unconnected to her are under-dressed. The police will not let you out, in fact they are very aggressive towards anyone who approaches their line. There is no way out, all streets are blocked, there is no way into any of the buildings.

You have barely enough clothing, though you do have gloves a hat and fleece neck tube in your pack, a blanket, 3 litres of water in a camel, 2 metal cups, comprehensive 1st aid kit and are trained, 5 cereal bars a small bar of chocolate, a wallet with £20 in, head torch and a mobile phone. You have seen someone get mugged by a small gang of 3 men in front of the police line. Now and again there are violent clashes on the police line.

You have no idea when you are going to be released it could be now or in 7 hours.. you need to get through this and out unscathed, bearing in mind you are probably one of the most experienced person here as far as dealing with this extreme situation.

Good luck!

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Have any of you seen The Road? It's a grim survival-related vision of post-apocalyptic doom. Don't let it put you off, it really is an exceptional tale of managing adversity. Watch and be scared.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE