Circular saw Blades for knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
(If this post is in the wrong place could a Admin/Mod please re locate it where necessary. thank you)

I have seen a few threads where knives have been made from circular saw blades.
I assume they are a decent steel that will hold an edge or is there only specific makes of blade that are used due to better quality steel?

I asked at work on Monday (28th) "if" any Blades are thrown away could I have them? The initial response was the usual insult we all know "go away" you only want to weigh them in.
Once I explained what I was planning to use them for I was taken more seriously.
Today my foreman walked over and said I have a Blade for you, its no good to us, the teeth are no longer able to get re-sharpened.

Result I now have a (original size) 450mm diameter x 3.5mm thick Blade in my possession! all I need now is a design I like and time to play. (most likely take ages as I am limited for space at home).

Talk about asking at the right time!
Any info would be appreciated for how to go about things.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
they make awesome blades mate, my very first one was a saw blade, funny you talk about this, i broke the tip off my one at the weekend...:(

give me a call laters dude...

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
By circular saw blades are you meaning using the carbide tipped wood cutting blades with the tips ground off then shaped or are you meaning the stone cutting diamond Stihl saw blades?
I seem to remember that the old wood cutting circular saw blades were of decent tool steel but that was before they had carbide tips and I don't know what they are nowadays.

I'm interested in this myself as I have a few of the wood cutting ones kicking about.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
The particular one I have is a diamond/carbide tipped type, yes used on wood, designed/sharpened for cutting laminates. I will look to see who made the Blades it may give a clue to the type of steel used.

btw thank you for the pm Lannyman8

edit http://www.unilap.co.uk/Kanefusa.htm its a board pro blade. 450x4.8x3.5x60x72xTD shown in the .pdf as number 6 under TD type.

Last edited:

JJJ

Tenderfoot
Nov 22, 2008
cumbria
I use a lot of circular saw blades. Old rusty ones found on farms to modern carbide tipped ones thrown away by saw mills. They produce great blades
The steel on modern ones is easy to I.D, just contact the manufacturer. They are usually more than happy to help when they find out what you are going to do with them. Yours will almost certainly be CS80/ 1080 or maybe CS70/1070.
When you come to use your blade,it is much easy to anneal it first. I still do them in a bonfire because of their size.
good luck
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE