Christmas/New Years Meet at Swyns 5 & 6 Jan 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I am starting a new thread here to save any confusion.

There is a Christmas Meet planned here in Buckinghamshire on the weekend of the 5th and 6th of January 2008.

This will be held at the same venue as the BCUK 'Christmas Moot' last year.

There is a series of simple workshops planned and as I have posted elsewhere there is covered space in case of inclement weather.
Usual pit roast, childrens workshops etc.

Thanks to those who have already offered help.

Any more stuff .......... Please post it here!:D

Cheers from Swyn.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Hey Swyn, :)

Wouldn't this be best called a "new year meet" ;)

Would be great if we could do a bit of archery for those that have bows and atlatl again.

Certainly hope to be able to make it, is this a proper BCUK organised, pay through the shop jobbie? Or organised by yourself and the rest of the bucks lads?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hi Andy,
Oh dear, looks like I have already done the wrong thing!

This seems to have come about by popular demand from here (this forum) and locally(Bucks Bushcrafters)

This is organised as an extension of our meets in the same site as the 'Moot'
This is not a 'Moot' as Tony is tied up with the 'Northern Moot' and if I continue this theme and answer your question on payment, as this is not a 'Moot'. Payment will be on the door on the day.
Perhaps we may be critisized for doing this I don't know. Just seems like the thing to do.

I will have to look into the archery thing as this was carried by Tony last time. Our insurers could have a caveat on this one. It may cost too much!
Bow making, certainly, as Rod has offered to run a workshop just for this. (Cheers Rod)

Please do not hesitate to bring anything else on board as this needs to be sorted at the earliest opportunity!

Swyn.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Glad to say that I've been granted a weekend pass for this. I'd love to bring the family along but, for some strange reason, Mrs C doesn't like the idea of camping out in January. Can't understand it myself!

Will be good to put faces to some of the names here.

Geoff

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I'm aiming to be there. May even get the future Mrs Bootstrap along too :)

If someone wants to have a go at cherry bark containers I'm quite happy to give a demo, it seemed to go down well last year for those that tried.

Pitkin, if you are going can you give me some pointers on your home made seat please? I'll bring the builders plank ;)

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I'll be there - can help out with the workshops (usual suspects - fire by friction, knife sharpening, tree walk, shelter building etc.) if anyone wants a hand. Cheers Aaron

Rod

On a new journey
Bow making, certainly, as Rod has offered to run a workshop just for this. (Cheers Rod)
Swyn.

Hhrrmmmm...

I think what I offered was a workshop on making a bowSAW. Sorry, if this disappoints anyone, apologies Swyn. A bowsaw is equally useful and could be quite lethal too ;) Please pm me if you want to make one and I can sort out materials from there. You will need to supply your own blade & retaining pins/bolts.

There will be a tracking work shop too - again please let me know if you are interested.

cheers all

looking forward to it! :D

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I will be there with my oldest and Mrs Silverback will play it by ear with my youngest as to whether they stay or not but regardless should stay for the day on Saturday. I am happy to do Rabbit prep if anyone is interested or want's a refresher. I could probably be persuaded to turn the results into a repeat performance of the critically acclaimed Rabbit in Cider served with Mustard and Cream Sauce :D .

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'd be up for rabbit prep, as I've never done one before. Nearest thing I've done is mackerel /trout and watching a deer being butchered (though I had shot it).

Geoff :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I'd be up for rabbit prep, as I've never done one before. Nearest thing I've done is mackerel /trout and watching a deer being butchered (though I had shot it).

Geoff :)
No problem Geoff - I will formulate a list a bit nearer the time to get a feel for how many bunnies I am likley to need :deal:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Forgot to post to say I'm coming, even though I've read this thread a few times - I'm coming

The other half isn't, as I suspected and mentioned at the meet, because its January and its going to be bloody freezing, even with the barn!

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
OK, Here's an update on the available workshops kindly offered at present.

Woodland Walk.
Bow-Saw making.
Tracking workshop.
Rabbit prep. (and possibly Deer prep please)
Pheasant prep.
Pit roasting in the Chilterns!
Bow making.
Plank chair making
Knots in use.
Bow Drill.
Knife Sharpening. Along with the obligatory SAFETY stuff.
Shelter building.
Drinking water workshop. (Using a Millbank type bag)
Childrens workshops. (We will need some help here too please)
Snug gits workshop. (Norway trip)

That's twelve and a half choices for you so far over the two main days! Any other sugestions gratefully received.

Swyn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE