Chisel end caps?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fat ferret

Forager
May 24, 2012
Galloway
Hello all. I would like to make some leather end caps to protect the sharp ends of my chisels, and me:11doh:. They are mostly old ones and bought end caps probably wouldn't fit, there is one that is 17/32"nds for instance. As you can see they are a right mixed batch by different makers, some are almost square in profile others have such shallow bevels they are near triangular. All hold a good edge and are used frequently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80226784@N07/8132003585/

Lots of good info on here on making sheaths, axe masks and leatherworking teqniques but wonder if I could make the end caps tight enough they would stay on properly? Anyone ever made any chisel end caps? Just looking for ideas of the best way.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
If you start with a nice tight leather stitched cap then wet form it to shape to suit each individual chisel.
theres many great leatherworkers here so im sure they will give there expert advice.

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
You could make leather ones but you loose them all the time ,the easy way is just to use cardboard and some packing tape, cheap and does not matter if you loose them you can knock a new one out in a mins

Jason

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The plastic ones are cheap enough to buy, and they come in a huge range of sizes too. I'm still using my Father's old chisels (and he's dead thirty+ years) so like you they're a mix of sizes.
The plastic ones seem to stay on okay.
I did make a leather tool roll for my carving chisels though, couldn't find anything that really worked on half inch curved gouges. Certainly every bit as effective, and protective, as individual end caps :)

cheers,
Toddy

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Polymorph :cool:

That's what I've been using for a couple of years now with the ones I lost the protective covers for.
Just bung the polymorph in a cup, pour boiling water on it, stir till the pellets clump together then shape it round the chisel end.

Its reusable so if I use it for something then want to re-shape it its easy enough to re-heat and make it into another shape.

Great stuff.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Nice looking set of chisels you have there. Why not just make a good leather tool roll to keep them in. you would have the advantage of keeping them protected and together, without losing end caps.

Last edited:

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
If you wanna make them from some Leather I give you one tip, as I did it before, and trial and error mate ^^ make sure you make the sheathes longer then an inch preferably inch and a half at least, especially the wider chisels, as they tend to loosen more quickly.

Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE