China threatens death penalty for serious polluters

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/19/us-china-pollution-idUSBRE95I10D20130619

China as normal is taking things to the extreme, I wonder how much "under the able" will be allowed before they clam down on you, and the implications for levi city (the run off from the factory's has died the local river the color levi blue).

But it's good to see the worlds biggest industrial polluter taking some action.

Last edited:

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I don't believe in death penalties. Especcialy in a country like China, where a human life is worth nothing.
I hope the people stand up again one day find a better way to rule their country. An Asian spring rather than an Arabic one.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
As I said they take it to the extreme, and I agree that china's human rights record is worse than craptastic. But at least they are saying if you mess up intentionally and it causes serious environmental issues it will have real consequences for YOU! in other words I am glad they are holding people really accountable, but they way they are doing it is far from idea;.

But it will sadly either be soon and bloody, or a long time away with lot's of hurt before China get's to be "free" in the same way we are.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Sounds fairly reasonable, if you cause the deaths of dozens if not hundreds by negligently or maliciously polluting the atmosphere then so be it.

Hopefully they will be bringing it back here as well for the likes of child and young people killers to name just a couple of categories.

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Sounds fairly reasonable, if you cause the deaths of dozens if not hundreds by negligently or maliciously polluting the atmosphere then so be it.

Hopefully they will be bringing it back here as well for the likes of child and young people killers to name just a couple of categories.

Thing is I can understand genuine accidents, a tanker crossing a bridge and get's into a accident leaks and spill's. It wasn't intentionally dumped but the big companies like Foxcon who don't even give the workers gloves who handle thousands of toxic components a day and end up dieing at 30 years old through a industiral sickness. The should address that (as should the companys who contract the fab shops), and underage labour, it's not a kid working in a shop at the weekend or after school it's 10 year old and up assembling crap we take for granted on a daily basis, who end up sick because they have been working with chemicals or fumes that are highly toxic.

Start with that, then expand into whole environment protection meathods.

What is needed though, is a massive shift in our attitude to ewaist. One of the indians who I met at my last job prior to out souring. Told me of a town just up the road from him, who's sole product is copper not from mining but burning used cable and electrical products. The job employs young kid's like 4- 9 they pile it up, set it on fire and when it's burned out the pay the kid's to "Find the shiney" and the kids that find the most get the biggest pile of pennies, the kids that survive to adult hood become the ones who run the burn pits and pay the kids, it's a vicious cycle. That most of us could stop if we demanded recycling was done here inside the EU, we can process more and put the material back into circulation faster than any place in the 3rd world.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
And all those rare earth magnets in wind turbines, let alone all the elements used in Solar panels. If there was no call for them there would be no pollution, hmmm maybe not very true :confused:

Jul 12, 2012
Liverpool
Solar panels cost more in terms of energy than they do to make, don't get me wrong they have a purpose but as the answer to the energy issue oh hell no.

Also rare elements, are not exactly that rare, just hard to get in easy quantities. In fact Cornwall could be the gulf of rare tin, including the spoil piles which are easier to get at as little mining is involved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE