Chicken in the woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Had a great weekend in the Suffolk woods, with Bryan and Jake. Met Jake at the pub at lunchtime, and had pint, then it was up to the woods to get set up. By the time we had the communal shelter, and our own shelters up, it was beginning to get dark.
After getting the fire going, we had a brew and some dinner. I had a British army steak and veg rat pack, with some pasta, I'd never tried a rat pack before and was quite impressed.
Stu came up with his new dog Ruby and stayed for an hour or so. Turned in about 9.30, and slept through till 8am, my Polish laavu being very dark.
Had some bacon and eggs for breakfast, and Bryan arrived just as the kettle boiled for a brew. Spent a few hours doing some camp chores and firewood processing, then started getting lunch ready. As there were only three of us, we decided on chicken rather than a turkey, but cooked the same way in a dustbin. While the meal was cooking, I showed Jake and Bryan some sharpening techniques, for their knives and spoon knives. Had a great roast chicken meal, with xmas pudding and custard, mince pies and after eights, wine and port.
Retired around 10, and then the heavens opened, a brief respite around 3.30, then it rained continuously till about 8am. No leaks in the laavu, which performed brilliantly the whole weekend.
A lovely meal and some great company made for a very enjoyable weekend, thanks guys.

sffk xmas 2015 001.jpg sffk xmas 2015 004.jpg sffk xmas 2015 006.jpg sffk xmas 2015 007.jpg sffk xmas 2015 008.jpg sffk xmas 2015 009.jpg sffk xmas 2015 010.jpg sffk xmas 2015 015.jpg sffk xmas 2015 016.jpg sffk xmas 2015 020.jpg sffk xmas 2015 021.jpg sffk xmas 2015 022.jpg sffk xmas 2015 026.jpg sffk xmas 2015 025.jpg sffk xmas 2015 028.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cracking stuff Mr. Kelly, looks a great camp set up and dinner looks finger lickin' good. Few things more impressive that a roast bird in the woods.
Nice to hear you passing on your skills too.
Cheers for posting up.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for the good words Arya and GB. Regarding the passing on of skills, If I learn a skill or technique, I feel almost obliged to pass it on to someone who asks. I am always trying to broaden my own limited skill set, and feel humbled by some of the members here, who are so willing to pass on the hive minds encyclopedic knowledge of "bushcraft".
:)

ESL Jake

Sep 22, 2015
Bures,Essex
Dinner was indeed great and plentiful,some new skills learnt as I am a relative novice to the craft(loved the Japanese splitting axe) , but a great weekend with two top chaps.
Cheers and Merry Christmas one and all
Jake:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE