Cherry wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I cut down a large cherry tree today, & part of it was very nicely spalted, so is it any good for knife scales ?, also is it good for wood turning( I don't) as the logs from it seem to nice to go as fire wood.

Rob

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Cherry should have excellent and even density for all sorts of carvings. Much like birch. Save the smaller branches, carving chips and shavings as smoke wood for meats and smoker BBQ.
Maria Arango is likely one of the world's most creative wood cut printers. She works mostly in cherry. Google her name to have a look. Inspirational.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks for the replies, jmagee, unless the paddle is for action....as none of the logs are longer than 10". The best spalted stuff was from the stump, which I've square cut as it was to wide for my saw(stihl 390 with 20" bar) to cut in one go, due to there being 3 trunks growing out of it.

Rob

It splits a lot while seasoning. Most fruit woods do.

I actually had cherry splitting on me while I was still cutting it (down)- more then once.....
I usually split pieces reserved for woodworking lengthwise with the centre removed to reduce risk of unwanted splitting (in the wrong place) and store pieces I work on in paper together with the woodchips to slow down the drying process

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE