cherry wood bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
Ive just finished a small bowl made of cherry wood. i used an Axe and hand saw to rough out and a crook knife and the carving knife Jojo made me to finish it.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thats really lovely mate, love the handle how did you attacth the contrasting wood, just glued it on, and what wood is it, have you treated it , got to get my **** into gear and have a go at something like that myself, again really nice work

lupus

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
at home
the lighter wood is the sap wood, its not glued on just the outer part of the tree.
all i did was give it a wipe over with some vegetable oil. I'm going to Christen it this weekend, it will be my breakfast and dinner bowl from now on when I'm out.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
Lupus,

Great workmanship well done that man.

Am truly envious of your carving skills. How long did it take? Was it from a Cherry Burl?:You_Rock_

Aug 27, 2006
Kent
It's really beautiful. I love the texture of the finish one the outside, it reminds me of hammered metal.

You can get food grade oil for sealing untreated wooden items from Ikea. It's about three quid for half a litre, is flavourless/odourless/colourless & lighter than veg oil. I use it on all my wooden stuff.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I logged up a cherry yesterday and I have a brand new Del stubbs crook knife on its way..... may well have a go at one myself, do you rough out the middle with an axe or do the whole lot with the crook knife?

You will shape the outside with an axe then a knife and hollow the inside with the crook knife

Have a look at Robins vidoes for some idea here

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely bit of carving there Lupus, I can only hope I manage to get the skills to achieve something like that.

Just out of curiousity what are the measurements of it?

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Thats a really nice bit of carving and a nice useable shape. I love the clean cut tooled finish. I would be worried about the central growth rings which are still in one side of the bowl, this very often leads to splits either as a piece is drying or later during use as it gets wet then dry. Always safer to remove all the centre of the branch before starting to carve, sometimes you get away with it though, hope yours survives.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
Do people always use green wood for carving like that? I sometimes pick up dead wood and it's always harder to carve than I'd like, with uneven grain, etc. Maybe I need to get friendly with a tree sureon and get some offcuts of freshly chopped wood!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE