Checked Luggage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
Hi all,

I want to take my bushcraft knife and survival tin to Canada with me on my canoeing trip, I am packing it in a suite case I was wondering what is the best way to pack it as I don’t want it confiscating by customs and what do I say if they ask why am I carrying it? :yikes:

ta
Tim

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
I have bought them back from the USA simply packed into my checked luggage, without any problems. I am not sure about going the other way, but if it packed into your checked luggage you may well be ok.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Might be an idea to have an itinary made up - one with your kit, one on your person with a brief description of your reasons for having them. As extra back-up contact the airline and airport and explain to them as well - get Names of people you speak to

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Like Martin says, contact the airline first and depending on what they say maybe customs aswell. There`s no point taking the risk, I`d be gutted if they confiscated my sharps.

If your knife`s in a sheath already it should be okay I would`ve thought.

Have a great trip btw, where in canada are you going ? That`s something I have on my "to do before I die" list

Personally I don't think I'd bother contacting the airline. I don't think they are involved in the security side of things. You might want to keep an eye on the BAA website to make sure they don't inexplicably ban the carry of knives in hold luggage, but otherwise I can't see it being a problem. That's just me though.

It'd be sensible to check up on the knife laws at your destination and make sure you'll be ok bringing them in though.

As for packing them, unless I was very tight on space I'd have them wrapped in bubble wrap to be on the safe side, yes.
If your bag is full enough without the wrap, I'd suggest wrapping the knife up in something sturdy like a pair of jeans or even better (I think) a thick material like a fleece more to protect the knife than anything else I think.

If you're concerned about the knife coming out of its sheath, I'd suggest rolling it up in a carrier bag or clingfilm and then taping it shut so it can't budge.

Ditto with the tin.

Have a great time over there. Canoeing in Canada (and Sweden) are very high on my to-do list. Can't wait! :D

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Or you could send them parcel posted to a Canadian member before hand, and have them ship, deliver, the items to you at a pre arranged address or meeting place.

Or send it to your 1st night's accomodation.

I've often wondered about doing things like that but I'm usually more afraid that it'll go missing or be wrecked in the post than on its way through baggage handling.

I sent a knife back from Ireland when I was travelling without checked bags, and until I picked it up at the local post office I was convinced something was going to go wrong.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've never had a problem with knifes axe and saw in my hold luggage flying in europe or to Malawi but i haven't flown in to Canada yet. i would say that it won't be a problem. The bubble wrap idea is a good one as it puts all the kit out of immediate use. I say check and you should be fine especially if your going on a trip and it can all be classed as camping equipment

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
similarly I've travelled airline with some odd stuff - knives, ice axes, fencing swords, they care not as long as they're checked. I'd only make sure that it doesn't look as though you're importing / exporting them; they may not take so kindly to that and could hit you with the duty

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
I've taken my Bushie and Opi on a number trips in & out of US and Canada. Of course they need to be in the hold.

My case was checked twice because it was overweight. The knives were seen and no comment was made. And why would they? There is a more relaxed approach over there.

It is contraband like drugs they are after. So put your sharps inside your spare shoes in a case then relax. I never considered taking my GB axe, although I brought back a number of tomahawks without comment.

Relax and enjoy your trips.
George:)

Andrew_S

Jan 13, 2009
Ontario, Canada
You should have no problems with customs. If they search your bags, they may ask why you need the knife. Answering that you'll be canoe tripping in Algonquin should satisfy them. I would be extremely surprised if you had a problem.

The law in Canada essentially boils down to reasonability. Carrying a knife on your belt is not reasonable in downtown Toronto, but it is reasonable on a canoe trip. That, and you aren't allowed to carry a knife with intent to use it as a weapon.

Have fun in Algonquin.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Sweden, knives no problem when in the nature, stoves - no gas canisters allowed in the hold on planes, so buy in Sweden, but they can be difficult to find in some of the smaller towns.The airlines also dont like fuel bottles or spirit burners that have been used or smell of fuel.
Myself and a group of friends have a week trip each year and never had problems with knives, for cooking etc either open fire or if you must take a stove either a new unused fuel bottle or a new spirit burner. If you must take a used one make sure its well washed out and well wrapped.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
Hi all,

I want to take my bushcraft knife and survival tin to Canada with me on my canoeing trip, I am packing it in a suite case I was wondering what is the best way to pack it as I don’t want it confiscating by customs and what do I say if they ask why am I carrying it? :yikes:

ta
Tim

Tim,
You should not have any difficulties with your equipment if it is carried in the hold - what you are carrying are only tools - I have carried full camping kit with stoves/knives/axes over to north america on a number of occasions and never had any difficulties.

One tip which I always do is to put my sharps in one "bag" and label it on the outside with very large lettering so that any security inspectors are forewarned and do not end up damaging themselves on your blades.

Have a great trip
ATB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE