Cheap Line Markers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Just thought id post up a little alternative to glow light markers for your tarp lines. These are little led units i knock up. All you need is a CR2032 lithium battery (£1.48 for 10 delivered on evilbay) a bog standard 3mm or 5mm led of your choice (pence on evilbay but dont go to maplin) and a couple of neodymium disc magnets (couple of quid on evilbay)

e9cc4a0c.jpg

put the led legs either side of the battery (longer leg is +) put a magnet on one side to secure the leg to the battery, slip over your line and then add the second magnet. The last one of these i timed went for 5 days on one battery (that was a 3mm led). The only thing you will need to replace is the battery and at 14.8p for 5 days its pretty cheap.

ff13a069.jpg

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Does the voltage of the LED need to match that of the battery?

most bog standard leds of the type shown are about 3.2v - 3.5v depending on colour. the CR2032 is 3v so the leds are working within their designed voltage limit. it means they are bright but not at their brightest. this aids the length of burn you get from a battery without noticeably affecting light output.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Could you just tape the legs of the LED to the battery?
I'm wondering about water proofness

Good idea though

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
In a similar vein, I'm constantly pinging my tarp's 2mm guy lines in the dark, so I've been looking for a way of illuminating them.

So, I wondered if the angling community had anything to offer. They must sometimes have a need to see thin lines in the dark. I found this stuff:

Super Lumi Glow tube, Glows in the dark after charging with a headlight or torch. Even glows in Sunlight. Inside diameters of 2mm, 3mm or 4mm in lengths of 5m or 10metres. 5m for about £5 from UK Hooks (http://www.uk-hooks.com).

My thinking is that I could slide a length of tube on to my guy lines or leave it off if I want to go "tactical".

Last edited:

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yes you could tape them. ive used them in rain plenty of times and they dont seem to go out. When immersed in water they just go out. Remove from water and the light comes back on. its very hard to put them out even in heavy rain. Using tape is fine but it might lift off in wet weather

[video=youtube_share;mv5ytROK1ns]http://youtu.be/mv5ytROK1ns[/video]

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
In a similar vein, I'm constantly pinging my tarp's 2mm guy lines in the dark, so I've been looking for a way of illuminating them.

So, I wondered if the angling community had anything to offer. They must sometimes have a need to see thin lines in the dark. I found this stuff:

Super Lumi Glow tube, Glows in the dark after charging with a headlight or torch. Even glows in Sunlight. Inside diameters of 2mm, 3mm or 4mm in lengths of 5m or 10metres. 5m for about £5 from UK Hooks (http://www.uk-hooks.com).

My thinking is that I could slide a length of tube on to my guy lines or leave it off if I want to go "tactical".

Looks like interesting stuff. Let us know how you get on

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Will do. I've got a question in to the supplier to see how long this stuff glows on a "full charge".

There are other clip on, luminous guy line markers on the market, and MSR have a set of reflective markers. However, none of the ones I've seen have my required ID of 2mm.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
Will do. I've got a question in to the supplier to see how long this stuff glows on a "full charge".

There are other clip on, luminous guy line markers on the market, and MSR have a set of reflective markers. However, none of the ones I've seen have my required ID of 2mm.

Mike Taylor from www.uk-hooks.com has responded to my query. The tubing will have a "couple of minutes bright glow" after it's been fully "charged".

I'd be interested to see whether there's any kind of longer term, residual glow that would make my guy lines visible throughout the night.

I'll buy a fiver's worth, do some experiments and update this thread.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Gary
Thanks for this tip. I've been using tiny fishing disposal cylumes on my lines since pulling out a tie-out from my tarp! The LEDs and batteries have arrived and am awaiting the magnets. My white 5mm is now well into its 3rd day and going strong.
Alan

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Gary
Thanks for this tip. I've been using tiny fishing disposal cylumes on my lines since pulling out a tie-out from my tarp! The LEDs and batteries have arrived and am awaiting the magnets. My white 5mm is now well into its 3rd day and going strong.
Alan

No problem Alan

Who's Gary :D

Bosun

in my experience with GID paracord the glow does last for about 10 mins but there is no residual glow after. Will be interesting to see if this stuff is better. From memory Wayland had some glowy stuff at the last RC meet that was pretty good. be interested in knowing what that was if he's listening :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE