Cheap eBay hiking pole tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
Hi all, 1st post so go easy on me

Going to walk from newquay to lands end and needed to loose some base weight as my 2.9kg tent ok for a 2dayer but really want to lighten up. Can't find any reviews of these cheap probably Crrrup tents. Any experience of these?

I might take my DD magic carpet incase it's not waterproof, any tips on putting it over I take it if it's directly on the tent it will cause more condensation?

Any tips on best waterproofing spray for it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultralig...n-Shelter-Mosquito-Net-Outdoors-/253943004146

Thanks in advance

Mark

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
Reactions: Erbswurst

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
Only reason I gone cheap as won't use it that often just I got the dog for this trip and I need to make sure he is zipped in something or else he will run after the animals while I'm asleep lol. Don't think he will rest in a hammock haha

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I looked to the description.
I see a German translation, because the side understands, that I am German.

What did I find there?

The article is in China, they send it to you from China, that can happen very soon or next autumn for example or never with bad luck.

They write they would send it everywhere but they exclude nearly every existing state, if not all. They don't want to deliver to Germany, northern America or the Vatican for example.

If you want to, you may surch half an hour for Britain in the list. With good luck they deliver to Scotland, but not to England. They have no idea about the shop, they use here.
Will the tent arrive?

What's about British taxes?

Very funny: They want to sell an ultra light tent, but they don't tell us the weight!

They have no idea about the client!
Ultra light trekking freaks want to know exactly which weight they have to expect.

If they don't know all that, are they able to produce an ultra light tent? That is complicated!

I would not buy it!

In every tent of this construction you have to count with heavy condensation if you close it!

Why don't you tie the dog to a tree?

Reactions: skidmk1983

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I own this tent here.

It is perfectly constructed. You can hang it under a tree for example. You can use one nature stick inside or two sticks outside for example.

There are enough videos about it to watch.

160 € is the price for only the outer tent.
You have a ground sheet. If you don't have to expect a heavy problem with midges, that is enough.
(Or you could buy the very light and very cheap Decathlon Solognac rain poncho as ground sheet to save more weight for example. Or you use for example the ultra light Snugpak Special Forces Bivvy bag, what I usually do.)

This tent is light, but not to fragile.

https://luxeoutdoor.de/de/Sil-Hexpeak-V4a.html

160 € is the price for the outer tent!
Don't misunderstand it!
The seller offers you every piece extra, or all together, because most people don't need the inner tent.

And it is large enough for a man up to 185 cm and a dog.

But if you close it the whole night, you will get condensation inside at the walls too.
Than a bivvy bag would be a good solution, to avoid, that the sleeping bag sucks water from the walls if you touch them.

You have to count with that problem in normal british weather in nearly every 360 degrees closed plastic tent.
I close this tent only in heavy wind or if I leave it on touristic camping grounds.
It is large enough to sleep in it with open entrance, if it rains.
The outer tent is large enough as a two persons tent. Larger versions exist too.

You have to decide:
Heavy cotton or condensation?
Or poncho, tarp or nothing over you and a bivvy bag.

If you aren't to tall, the Six moon designs Gatewood Cape would be a good option. Not ultra cheap, but ultra light and ultra tough. Well known quality stuff!

The Six moon designs serenity mesh tent can be used with it.

That is a poncho you can convert to a tent.

It isn't totally closed till the ground at one side, wich would be the dogs side.
That keeps the condensation problems lower.

In this shop here it is currently sold out, but you will get it somewhere else, if you surch. Surely it will come back at this side very soon.

Here you can think about letting the rain jacket at home. That would save more weight.

Stuff like that is traded second hand too.
You can find it perhaps or sell it later.

I would choose the green one.
It is easyer to hide it in the area!

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/gatewood-cape

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Have a look to the thread
"Sleep mat for a pain full back".

I listed there ultra lightweight equipment which could be interesting for you!

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
I bought something quite similar from China, its made from 15d silnylon and weighs nothing, it also includes a footprint to protect the floor. Build quality is incredible for the price I paid. I've pitched it once to check it over and its a fantastic bit of kit.

£49.68 34%OFF | 3F UL GEAR Oudoor Ultralight Camping Tent 1 Person Professional 15D Nylon Silicone Rodless Tent Lightweight Camping Gear
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cCd5ZUlT

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
Thanks for the replys guys, I did actually order it I don't expect much still have my 2 man as a back up so will try it out for a few days. I know all these single layer tents get bad condensation think I will try leave the door open or put a tarp over door hole it if very bad. Will look to a bivi bag as at least will stop the sleeping bag getting wet if it touches the sides, I tent to sleep in a ball so don't really stretch out too much. I agree it's weird they don't list the weight but I found the same looking one on eBay with weights etc so hopefully it's the same. Going to cover the thing in nikwax and try to pitch where I have some cover from trees etc. Cheers guys

Reactions: welchyd1

welchyd1

Jan 4, 2011
Wirral, Merseyside
Thanks for the replys guys, I did actually order it I don't expect much still have my 2 man as a back up so will try it out for a few days. I know all these single layer tents get bad condensation think I will try leave the door open or put a tarp over door hole it if very bad. Will look to a bivi bag as at least will stop the sleeping bag getting wet if it touches the sides, I tent to sleep in a ball so don't really stretch out too much. I agree it's weird they don't list the weight but I found the same looking one on eBay with weights etc so hopefully it's the same. Going to cover the thing in nikwax and try to pitch where I have some cover from trees etc. Cheers guys

Hope it works out well for you buddy.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I recommend you to buy the olive green Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag.

I wouldn't spray wax on it.
I recommend to keep the option to give it later an additional silicone coating if needed! That's much better!!!

I expect, that it is totally or relatively water proof. I would try it out how it is delivered and use the Snugpak SF bivvy bag as life boat.

I recommend you to look for a British army bivvy bag in bad conditions, here or in the shops who sell it. I guess, if you call them you will find one they can't sell. And give ut you nearly or really for free.

Shorten it and make a bivvy bag for the dog! Teach the dog in cold, windy and rainy weather that that's a very nice thing! That is possible! Dogs aren't idiotic. They understand it!
Of course it has to be relatively large, that the dog doesn't become claustrophobic. And you can't close it with the strings, but that works!!!

But back to yourself:

If you use a bivvy bag, it doesn't really matter, if some rain spray hits through the fabric. I recommend to keep that tent light. If you wouks spray wax on the tent, of course your tent becomes heavier!

Try to find somebody who can tell you if it's really silicon coated, and give it a second silicon coat, if it isn't waterproof enough from the beginning or do it later, if you want to.

This Nikwax is ment for clothing with a membrane. That's totally different to a siliconnylon tent, that isn't water tight enough.

Open an other thread and ask the question in the forum. I cant explain it you in English, why how and what if and when.

With my limited English it would become an endless text, and in the end you wouldn't understand it, I guess.

Nikwax is meant to spray it on old Goretex coats or on old Cordura nylon Rucksack, who are still water tight. It makes the outer fabric of old equipment drying faster, nearly so fast as it was, when it was new, and, old Goretex coats work better after that is done.
They do not become more waterproof, but the Goretex membrane can transport later the moisture out of the coat,away from the body.

That is something else than giving a silnylon tent a second silicon coat!
You want a tent 100% water proof, and that can be done with a second silicone layer, if you tent is really a siliconised Nylontent.

US american tents usually have inside PU, outside Silicon, Europeans both sides silicone.
Usually. May be, may be not.
Cheap heavy ones have outside the polyester fabric and inside PU coating and that's it. Here you could spray nikwax on to make it drying faster or you can give a silicon coating on it, to make it water tight, when it's used and cleaned from everything on it after a couple of years.

But, that's all rubbish in my opinion, by the way. The tent becomes heavy from it. I would buy a new one and finish!

By giving a bright silnylon tent an additional thin black coating it becomes heavier of course but darker. Perhaps the yellow tent becomes green?

You even could probably paint a camo pattern on it. For example like the old Austrian pattern, what is relatively invisible, easy to paint and relatively light, because it doesn't use so much colour.

Last edited:

nobby8126

Nomad
Oct 16, 2010
Isle of Wight
Hi all, 1st post so go easy on me

Going to walk from newquay to lands end and needed to loose some base weight as my 2.9kg tent ok for a 2dayer but really want to lighten up. Can't find any reviews of these cheap probably Crrrup tents. Any experience of these?

I might take my DD magic carpet incase it's not waterproof, any tips on putting it over I take it if it's directly on the tent it will cause more condensation?

Any tips on best waterproofing spray for it?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultralig...n-Shelter-Mosquito-Net-Outdoors-/253943004146

Thanks in advance

Mark
Just got the lighter version from aliexpress and am testing it out tomorrow. sealed the pull outs with a silicone white spirit mix as suggested on YT. Looks to have worked well, will let you know after I have slept in it in the rain.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Yes, that's important.
Usually silnylon tents need a seam sealing made by the client. To do this in the factory would become very expensive, because it would need a lot of space.

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
just got the royal mail noticed to pay £11 import tax hopefully will have it Friday. if it is top 210T i think it listed whats the best Seam sealer i should try?

thanks again all for your help and the guys who gave me the Bivi advice however will stick with this for this trek may look to that for next time:emoji_thumbsup:

skidmk1983

May 8, 2017
hertfordshire
I recommend you to buy the olive green Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag.

I wouldn't spray wax on it.
I recommend to keep the option to give it later an additional silicone coating if needed! That's much better!!!

I expect, that it is totally or relatively water proof. I would try it out how it is delivered and use the Snugpak SF bivvy bag as life boat.

I recommend you to look for a British army bivvy bag in bad conditions, here or in the shops who sell it. I guess, if you call them you will find one they can't sell. And give ut you nearly or really for free.

Shorten it and make a bivvy bag for the dog! Teach the dog in cold, windy and rainy weather that that's a very nice thing! That is possible! Dogs aren't idiotic. They understand it!
Of course it has to be relatively large, that the dog doesn't become claustrophobic. And you can't close it with the strings, but that works!!!

But back to yourself:

If you use a bivvy bag, it doesn't really matter, if some rain spray hits through the fabric. I recommend to keep that tent light. If you wouks spray wax on the tent, of course your tent becomes heavier!

Try to find somebody who can tell you if it's really silicon coated, and give it a second silicon coat, if it isn't waterproof enough from the beginning or do it later, if you want to.

This Nikwax is ment for clothing with a membrane. That's totally different to a siliconnylon tent, that isn't water tight enough.

Open an other thread and ask the question in the forum. I cant explain it you in English, why how and what if and when.

With my limited English it would become an endless text, and in the end you wouldn't understand it, I guess.

Nikwax is meant to spray it on old Goretex coats or on old Cordura nylon Rucksack, who are still water tight. It makes the outer fabric of old equipment drying faster, nearly so fast as it was, when it was new, and, old Goretex coats work better after that is done.
They do not become more waterproof, but the Goretex membrane can transport later the moisture out of the coat,away from the body.

That is something else than giving a silnylon tent a second silicon coat!
You want a tent 100% water proof, and that can be done with a second silicone layer, if you tent is really a siliconised Nylontent.

US american tents usually have inside PU, outside Silicon, Europeans both sides silicone.
Usually. May be, may be not.
Cheap heavy ones have outside the polyester fabric and inside PU coating and that's it. Here you could spray nikwax on to make it drying faster or you can give a silicon coating on it, to make it water tight, when it's used and cleaned from everything on it after a couple of years.

But, that's all rubbish in my opinion, by the way. The tent becomes heavy from it. I would buy a new one and finish!

By giving a bright silnylon tent an additional thin black coating it becomes heavier of course but darker. Perhaps the yellow tent becomes green?

You even could probably paint a camo pattern on it. For example like the old Austrian pattern, what is relatively invisible, easy to paint and relatively light, because it doesn't use so much colour.

thanks so much for your time on this, will check the fabric when i receive, maybe if it is a sillicon coating i will add another, suppose if i put it in the garden, put the garden hose on it for a few mins at a time on sprinkler we will know how good or how bad i am dealing with lol.

tbh i only really need it for 3 days next month next year will invest in something better!

cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE