Cheap DIY aquaponics system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is the visit from the local Police drug squad thrown in for free? :eek: I fear that your name would be added to certain lists buying some of this kit.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Is the visit from the local Police drug squad thrown in for free? :eek: I fear that your name would be added to certain lists buying some of this kit.

I think thats a different setup lol. I actually use the diamond mylar that grow tents are lined with as footbox insulation in my top quilt. No visits from the law as yet :D

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~

What 'certain bits', a garden pond pump, plastic piping and fittings, plastic containers, concrete blocks or goldfish?

If what you said was really true then every plumber, gardener/hydroponic grower, koi carp/fish pond owner and general householder in the country who bought that stuff would be on your so called 'list'.

xylaria

Interesting video. I am growing wasabi at the moment. I went in to my local inner gardening shop last year to purchase calcium magnesium plant suppliment as our tap water has none and my tomatos were getting black bits on the base. They only take cash and don't keep records of customer transactions. I am going to need a mylar tent and led aray to grow plantlets from the wasabi, I don't have the slightest worry about buying owning or using equiptment. Aquaponics are the future, there is a good argument against world population eugenicism it is called thanet earth. It harvests its own water, makes its own electric and grows a huge amount of food. Image how much woodland we would have to play in if all food was grown like thanet earth.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
whats the difference aquaponics hydroponics ? i know there is a stacking system involving artificial soil, and nutrients, for limited space inner city use. Hydroponics with the lights require alot of energy even if they are cree LEDs which makes them uneconomical/unethical for longterm use. Then again I've never heard of the ethical cannabis grower with it planted on the roof in a polystyrene pot with artificial soil. When the police catch them sometimes a thermal camera on the hellicopter shows up one house that is very very hot, when it snows theres no snow on the roof or within a foot of the walls. Another way they catch them is usually the electric meter is bypassed, and the national grid chase up where there missing village worth of electric is going ! As for "the list" there are two hydroponic shops one called "kings heath hydroponics" in the middle of suburbia, that the police walk past every day. Just do not go and buy industrial quantities of stuff.

xylaria

Full spectrum leds are useful when you need sterile lab conditions for hormone induced plant cloning. For growing a full plant under artifical.lights its silly and a total waste energy. Even cannibas growers have to shorten the life cycle.to weeks not months to make it profitable they also nick electric and use very wasteful high pressure sodiums which as you say give off enough heat to heat a village. Thanet earth is just huge scale hydroponic with mostly natural light with some artifical light. It is anexceptionally effiecent system for growing food.. whether the food has the full amount of minerals is the only question mark I would have.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was just having a bit of fun, wasn't serious about the DE officers coming a knocking. Just playing to jokey paranoia. Was a nice wee video (didn't get a chance to view it first time round due to bandwidth), some salient points.

Didn't mean to worry anyone.
ATB,
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE