Chared Tinder Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

As posted in my charcloth thread, I wrote that I tried to char a piece of tinder fungus. This is exellent! :D As long as it's fully dried before taking out of the can. I can highly recommend you all to try this out.... :wink: :biggthump

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Does Crampball fungus need to be charred before it will take a spark from a fire-steel, or will it work OK straight from the tree (assuming it is nice and dry)??

I am doing a demo tonight for some local scouts on bow drill, and am throwing in some other stuff too... I managed to find my first crampballs yesterday while out on a 10 mile run and it would be nice for me and them if i can get it working with ease...

If i need to pre-char the fungus i can do it before i get there...

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
It works fine as long as it's dry - charring is not needed and the longer you keep them the more fragile and crumbly they get.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
Thanks for the reply, the demo went well, but as I expected, the scouts and cubs were more impressed by the chemical ignition techiques than the more traditional, harder learned skills.....

As for the fungus, how good is that!!!??!! :super:

As for the type and where I found it; it is the Crampball type, not the horses hoof and I found it on a dead ash tree (which they grow on exclusively), I have not yet found a source of the horses hoof fungus, but i will be keeping an eye out for one while I am out on runs...

On the plus side (and slightly off thread... sorry), I appear to have gotten the nack of bow drill, I successfully made 4 bow drill sets last night and managed to achieve fire with each, first time, within 1 minute (after the burn in and notch cutting) :rolmao:

I suppose hand drill has to be the next challenge.....
:yikes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE