Chanterelle woes

• Hey Guest, For sale we have Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteel PLEASE LOOK HERE for more information or use the Pay Now button in the sidebar

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I've been concentrating on my foraging a lot this year. The past few weeks has seen a lot of fungi action- and my research and time out in the field is getting justly rewarded, and I've had some lovely samples of edible fungi.

One Fungi I've not come across so far is the chanterelle. It seems to be noticeably absent from my local area, even though I've been to places far and wide I'd imagine they couldn't have been absent from.

I've seen many false chanterelle, and many other species of choice edibles and plenty of other types of fungi too. Am I missing something? Are they rare I Yorkshire? Or perhaps more of a summer species? One thing that is playing on my mind is that they are claimed to be likely in broadleaf in England, and pine in Scotland, I'm in a bit of an upland area in the North of England (ish) should I be concentrating on pine rather than broadleaf?

Im probably being impatient.

Thanks for any advice. It would be awesome if someone could confirm that they exist in Yorkshire! Just so I know I'm not chasing a unicorn :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We found them in Yorkshire. We were on a dig and the adjacent woodland had loads. We found the false ones too....which are actually fine to eat in moderation. I liked them. We just sliced them up and fried them gently in some olive oil and had them on slices of toast.
It was a mixed deciduous woodland with a fair bit of pine around.
This is well over twenty five years ago, the site is long gone under housing. :sigh:

• Sad
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Thanks Mary, atleast I'm not on a wild goose chase! I know a couple of decent woods that have a bit of a mix of pine and broadleaf. I'll check over the spot where I've seen the false chanterelle... hopefully they won't be too far away....

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Round here in Devon they seem to be earlier in the year, more a summer fungi. I think I've always found them under beech trees, usually in a damp and mossy area. My local patch is right next to our stream.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Well I found my chanterelles in the end- unfortunately not in Yorkshire! I had to go all the way to Scotland, to the lovely fertile lands of Dumfries and Galloway.

I wasn't expecting to find any this late in the year, but I happened across a handful of them under a huge beech tree just in the leaf litter. The best spot seemed to be mature oak, near a stream where the ground was carpeted in moss.

20211015_182105.jpg

What a lovely flavour they have. They are a soft texture, but not slimy.

It will have to wait until next year now I think, but it's given me the confidence that I can find a similar habitat much closer to home. The hunt for the Yorkshire chanterelle continues!!

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.