Chantarelle vs False Chantarelle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DutchDave

Jan 1, 1970
Hillywood, Netherlands
Can anyone tell how to tell them apart. Up in Sweden I saw a lot of orange stuff. I first thought wow that looks tasty but then began to doubt so "I left it out". Being on my own I didn't want to risk leaving this world just yet or cutting my trip short.

Thanks for your trouble in explaining me recognising the true article from the false one.

David

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've eaten both, and have to admit that they were both good.
Finely sliced, fried in olive oil and served on little toasts :D

True chanterelle has ridges and wrinkles underneath and down the stem, the false one has gills. The true one is an even yellow colour, the false on is orangey-er and sort of shades of orange, not all the same colour throughout.

The only one you might confuse them with is the Jack o' lantern, but it grows in a totally different manner even if it is similar colourings to the chanterelle.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. It seems that not everyone agrees that the false one is edible.
I ate it and was fine, but then I find chicken of the woods gives me hellish indigestion even though I find it tasty.
Best try small, small quantities for yourself if you decide to eat it.
Found a clear link with photos :D
http://www.mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomchanterelle.html

Last edited:

DutchDave

Jan 1, 1970
Hillywood, Netherlands
Thanks a lot! I'm still not sure what I saw and indeed tasted. But as you don't have any problem with both of them, maybe I'm similar in that sense.
The linked site has good comparative pictures.

Cheers,
David

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Once you get your eye in they're not too hard to tell apart visually, but until you get there, aroma is very helpful - real chanterelles smell a bit like apricots.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jack o lanterns are as rare as rocking horse scat in england, however in warm pine forests in europe they become alot more common. They get their name because they glow in the dark. So telling them from chanterelles is pretty easy. The latin name for a jack o lantern is omphalotus olerius they are very poisonous. The false chenterelles [hygrophoropsis] more like tawny funnel caps [clytocybe flaccida] but velvety on the cap, niether of these are poisonous. A true chanterelle does not have gills but ridges on the underside they are also a bit smaller, this is pretty unmistakable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE