Changing the size of photos?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi guys,

some fantastic photo's! :You_Rock_

would like to post a couple of pics but i don't know how to get them to be *big* in the post?
i have searched the forum help and not found out how to?

each time i try, they end up as small images, like this -

MOVI0009.jpg

so how do i get them to display *large* ?

please help :dunno:

austin

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
would like to post a couple of pics but i don't know how to get them to be *big* in the post?
i have searched the forum help and not found out how to?

each time i try, they end up as small images, like this -

View attachment 15491

so how do i get them to display *large* ?

There are lots of things you haven't told us, for example what you're using to display the image.

There are two things to consider. One is the information that makes up the image that you want to display, and the other is the tool which is used to display it.

What you see with the tools that you're using and what I see with the tools I'm using might be very different. That's a simple fact of life with computers, televisions, phones and bread-makers.

The image that you posted contains adequate information to be displayed at a size comparable with a typical postcard-sized photograph without excessive manipulation by tools.

The browser on my laptop chooses to display it at about that size by default but if I wish I can tell it to do something else. I don't wish.

Of course that size might not fit very well on the display on somebody's smartphone, so somebody else might wish. :)

What are you using to display the images?

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi ged,

please bear with me as i am not sure what you mean in some of your questions, i'll try and explain....

in this thread i see 'posts' which have images, the images show up on my 22" computer screen as 9" x7" measured.
in the post i posted above, my image shows up on my 22" computer screen as 2" x1.5" measured.

when i uploaded the image, it was 1.5mb on my computer. the image in my bushcraftuk post is much smaller, 38kb.
also, other peoples posts have full size images, my post has a thumbnail and you click on it to get a larger image.

to upload the image i used the 'insert image' button on the 'quick reply' toolbar.

does that shed any light on why the picture i posted is displayed as a small image in my post?

thanks again for your patience :)

austin

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Use a online storage/display website ie photobucket and then use the supplied links to display the photos.
The forum linky thing seems to automatically reduce the size of the images to save data.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi chaps,

Mesquite - thank you for replying, it seems that option is only available for the link to remote storage option?

however, as RE8ELDOG says perhaps it is the way the forum software works?

i will try using photobucket or similar ...

thanks again :thankyou:

austin

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Ah, there it is!

...as RE8ELDOG says perhaps it is the way the forum software works?

It might be the way your software works. :)

When you have an image displayed on your screen, what you see might be a reduced resolution version of the image that you're looking at. Suppose your image file has a resolution of 1024x768 pixels. Suppose your screen also has a resolution of 1024x768 pixels. If you tell the computer to display the image at full resolution, it will completely fill up the entire screen. There won't be any room left on the screen for borders, menus, toolbars, buttons, gadgets and all the other frippery that lets you use the computer's graphical user interface (that 's the thing that lets you tell the computer what to do by moving and clicking the mouse). Your computer's knows about this issue, so it makes a decision about how to display the image. It shows you a reduced resolution version of the image, which it can draw smaller on the screen and still leave room for buttons. If you play around with images using an image manipulation tool you'll start to understand what's happening a lot quicker than you will by my explanations.

When you use the buttons to send a copy of the image to BCUK, the computer might not send the full resolution image, it might think you want to send the reduced resolution version image that it's displaying on the screen for you instead. There are ways to tell the computer exactly what you want but you still haven't told us what operating system you're using (Windows at a guess, but which version and which browser?)

i will try using photobucket or similar ...

That's what a lot of other people are doing in this thread. Then instead of sending a file to the BCUK server you're sending just a hypertext link (to an image file which lives on another server) which is embedded in the thread together with the text that you've written.

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
success ! use photobucket and link to it !

P1190980.jpg

thanks chaps, for all your suggestions and help :thankyou:

austin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE