Chanctonbury Ring - Sussex - Pic Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Took the boys up to Chanctonbury today, it's a big hill (700ft asl) that is part of the South Downs National Park, there are two ways up, the steep side and it is incredibly steep or the path that traces the contours, we always go up via the contour path and come down the steep side, normally on our backsides - serious fun though, even for a big kid like me.

This is where we are heading for, doesn't look very steep does it, speak to anyone who knows though and they will tell you it is extremely steep

DSCF1393.jpg

Passing the farm, mystified as to there is an old tram there though as there have never been trams round here

DSCF1391.jpg

the bonus of taking the gentle path up is we get to go past the swinging ropes, there have been set up here for generations, i used to use the ropes here when i was a lad and so did my dad when he was a lad and he is 75 now, and no for the smart alecs out there, they are not the same ropes my dad and i used as kids.

anyway now it's the boys turn to use them, ok i had a few goes as well

DSCF1394.jpg

DSCF1400.jpg

DSCF1399.jpg

one of the Beech trees that the ropes are suspended from show new growth, only thing is it's an Ash Tree that's growing out of the crook in the tree

DSCF1406.jpg

oh yes, the adjoining Beech had a Dog Rose growing from it

DSCF1408.jpg

some of the undercut roots, other wise known as the Hobbits hole

DSCF1410.jpg

time to move on from the ropes, passing one of the beech trees that fell some time ago, but where the Estate has cut it sensibly and made a simple seat out of the trunk, even though this is the easy path up, it still makes you puff and pant by the time you get to the top.

DSCF1416.jpg

Knackered before we start

DSCF1418.jpg

Dead Beech tree, when this falls it will come right over the path we are on, still the estate are great and will have it cleared in next to no time, hopefully it will fall in such a way that more seats can be cut.

DSCF1420.jpg

at the top of the path now and walking along the ridge towards the ring

DSCF1421.jpg

DSCF1426.jpg

for those that don't know, the ring is actually the site of an Iron Age Hill Fort, one of many around here, the pathway we are walking on has been dated via finds to the Neolithic.

Looking out over the Weald

DSCF1427.jpg

The Dew Pond on top of the hill (more info on dew ponds here)

DSCF1430.jpg

Rooting around some of the chalk debris on the top of the hill produced this Oyster shell, so what is an Oyster shell doing 700ft asl on top of the Downs?, well only two ways it could have got here, one was as a fossil from when the hills were laid down Millions of years ago - doubtful or it has been bought here by human hand, be that in the last millennia or tens of millennia ago, only scientific dating will tell us now, not that im going to find out, i left the shell there as the entire area is an archaeological site and i don't have permission to remove artefacts or indeed possible artefacts.

DSCF1435.jpg

after a walk around up on top we descended into the trees

DSCF1437.jpg

DSCF1439.jpg

where after some tree climbing it was time for lunch, only sarnies this time out, i had pure local honey and fresh beech leaves - lovely

DSCF1444.jpg

before long we decided it was time to head down the hill, all 700ft of it and by this i mean we went straight down, sometimes sliding on our feet but mostly on our backsides, great fun, then it was back to the ropes for some late afternoon fun before heading back home.

DSCF1438.jpg

DSCF1415.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers mate, aye Beech leaves are lovely to eat, mind you you have to be quick as they are only good for a couple of weeks before they become far too tough to even consider, the young fresh ones are tasty though

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Used to go there a lot when I Lived in Littlehampton (where I grew up). Legend has it that if you dance 7 times around it backwards on midsummers eve the devil appears and offers you a bowl of porridge in exchange for your soul.....what a bargain!

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Nice one Kepis, brings back some memories! As I recall, the steep side is a real pitons and crampons job to get up. I think I'm right in saying the trees at the top were planted by a vicar who used to bring water up to ensure they established themselves. Wouldn't fancy that myself, even going up the easier path.

Isn't the dancing seven times legend from the Millers Tomb on Highdown Hill, who is supposed to be buried upside down.

Kepis, you should tell your boys about the Knucker hole at Lyminster a cracking short tale. :)

Cheers

Al

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
i forgot about The Knucker, will have to relate that one to them.

The steep side on Chanky is a good ppace for Pitons etc, the trees on top were planted by the Gorings and the land to this day belongs to Harry Goring the planters great great Grandson, and a nice bunch of people they are too, im lightly involved with a project they have going on up there.

IIRC the chanky story was run three times round the ring whilst holding your breath and the devil will appear

yerbache

Forager
Nov 30, 2010
Bridport
Kepis, you should tell your boys about the Knucker hole at Lyminster a cracking short tale. :)Al

Ah, I'd forgotten about that place....I used to walk past it every night on the way to the Black Rabbit at Arundel....I think there wasn't a kid around who didn't believe in the knucker

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
yep beech leaves, luvly jubbly, Primrose's are not poisonous though, been used for centuries as a potherb

jonquirk

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Guildford
Chanctonbury ring was my playground as a teenager and later a destination on horseback. The dew pond was open then so we took horses there, had a picnic and let the horses drink from the pond. Some time later it was fenced off to prevent damage. I walked the South Downs Way in the last week of March; very glad to see the fence had gone from around the pond. The ring will probably not regain its pre-1987 hurricane look in my lifetime. My kids have enjoyed the rope swings as I did.

We once followed the Morris Men form the Star in Steyning up to Chanctonbury on 30th April to see in the May. As we stopped the car at the end of the road I saw a badger for the first time.

This place has so many great memories for me.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Nice pics, I like those two of the big gnarly old trees, they look like something out of a story book.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE