Chains for pot suspension...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Can anyone remember seeing a section in a book, probably on the fur trade that covered the chains that were used for suspending cooking pots over open fires?

I know I've seen it somewhere but for the life of me can not place it.

I appreciate you can do things with twigs, and have indeed done so in the past but fancy fitting a hook to some old chain I picked up and so would like to see how it was done back in the day before I start messing with bits of coat hangers etc.

Thanks!

Also while I'm here can anyone one suggest a book with period (pre canned goods) recipes for camp food?

ATB

Tom

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
I simply bought galvanised chain from B and Q for my pot hanging tripod. The chain is 1.2 metres long, and has a large hook at each end (again, all fittings are from b and Q). At four points along the chain, I have placed smaller hooks, so that these can be used to adjust the length of chain to any height, or to be able to suspend two pots from the same chain.

Here is the chain hung from some hazel, to knock up a delicious chilli :)

TRIPODONE.jpg

You may be able to see that the chain looks all jumbled at the top, due to me connecting the hooks to each other, to reduce the length of drop. The hooks along the length of the chain, are the same type as the one you can see on the end, but smaller.

Here is the tripod I normally use with the chain, but this time there are two Zebra billies hung from the same chain.

Tripod001.jpg

The tripod is made from steel tent poles, and each arm is in four sections, so the height can be adjusted, as well as for very easy storage/transportation. In the pic, there are three spare pole sections on the floor, as the tripod was only over a small fire that day. I joined the poles at the top using the rings you can get for key rings, which were inserted into holes drilled into one side of each top arm section. This allows the arms to fold, flex, be easily moved, and also the rings act as a secure point to attach the chain to. I put an ad in a local paper for any old tent poles, and once picked up, the tripod took about an hour to make, including painting the poles in heat resistant paint :)

Sorry, the links did not work. I will sort out some pics in a bit :)

Last edited:

Ray Britton

Nomad
Jun 2, 2010
Bristol
Not if you had to share it with five others like I did lol.

We ate most of the chilli in the evening, and all of the rice that was in the billy. We then finished off the chilli for breakfast the next day. It was a monster meal, and the ingredients alone weighed over 6kg without added water!

Edited to add: It may be worth noting that there is a Dutch oven app for the Iphone, that allows you to record your favourite recipes, and even allows you to add a photo of the meal in the pot lol

Last edited:

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I use chains on my kitchen setup - simple cheap chain from B&Q and hooks form my old kitchen.

Since the pic I have closed the ends of some of the hooks to fix them to the end of the chain and also create a loop that is fixed to the top rail

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use the smallest steel chain they sell in B&Q, it's slightly beefier than the plug chain but not much more. Added to that I've got a small s-hook with the bottom curve opened out a touch.

It's wrapped around the bar on this one but you can just make it out ....
DSC02057.jpg

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
As already mentioned, I use one from time to time.

Beach-Brew-Up.jpg

I keep them with my billy cans so that I only need a simple stick to suspend a pot over the fire.

This is the one I use most and it is just a light brass chain with hooks at each end from B&Q but the one with my Hobo stove is even lighter and just has the end links cut in a way that forms the hooks.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
For the meet just gone I got some 3mm welding chain and galvanized S hooks and just closed one end onto the chain with mole grips. To alter the pot height I just speed the tripod legs

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE