Chaga or burl?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I'm drawing on the collective's knowledge to possibly identify this monster ...

It's growing on a very young Himalayan birch .
And I'm guessing it's Chaga fungus.

If it's Chaga then I will harvest some and be very happy with the result.

If it's burl I'll leave it alone I think , as I don't want to kill the tree by exposing the cambium layer to disease etc.

See what you guys think ...
also I'd be curious to hear your views on harvesting either of those .

Process , method and best practices...

with minimal damage to the tree being the main concern.

Thank you all in advance and apologies for the quality of the cell phone pics

202b4f54660fb3487d705ca970daaeb6.jpg
5f94e55421b99d6fc9cf46b21e7bc0c6.jpg
4ed811f5c00a0fcd5f134f783beb43f2.jpg
893a2f81c0bed915386739520b8f3265.jpg

beezer

Forager
Oct 13, 2014
lockerbie
best to leave clean cuts unsealed, trees will develop their own barriers to protect themselves. taking that burr off that tree will kill it even if it takes a few years to die.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Birch wounds should be covered with something like tree-pruner's paint. Despite the fact that the paint
is usually black in color, it isn't as noticible as you might imagine.
Birch sap has a considerable sugar content, unlike most other tree species, with the exception of Acer sp. = Maples.
The sugar is the usual, effective growth promotor of both bacteria and fungi for more invasive decomposition.

We have species of woodpeckers which attack birch trees specifically for the sap. In turn, the humming birds get a drink as well.
Eventually, the ants find the wounds and track in all sorts of organisms of decomposition.

If you have permission, harvest the entire tree. Use the entire tree. Make many things from it.
Fresh birch is easy to carve, not so much when it's dried = a bit boney.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I shall leave it alone , as I didn't want to kill the tree and don't have a real use for the whole tree just yet.

Maybe another time...

But thank you all for the advice given .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE